Head of Compositing (DNEG VFX)
Key Purpose of the Job:
As Head of Compositing in London, you will develop and support consistent workflows in your department, ensuring the right tools and technology are being used to deliver a variety of work to the highest standard in an effective manner. You will be accountable and responsible for helping define these workflows and approaches in order to maximise efficiency of the show teams. You will help in designing and setting standards for the Compositing Pipeline in order for your team to create the highest standard of work in the most optimised manner. You will engage in the creative process with a positive and supportive attitude and be able to demonstrate an excellent aesthetic eye and ability to anticipate potential problems.
Working alongside the other Head of Departments at DNEG, you will be responsible for communicating on behalf of the Compositing team, being the point of contact for collaboration for all shows and implementing strategies to improve operational efficiency on an on-going basis. Much of this will consist of workflows for the handling of 2D renders and 3D assets from all departments and the creation and maintenance of automated compositing methodologies used by other departments to efficiently present their work for review.
DNEG is a truly international company working with one pipeline and one vision to provide the very best visual effects and managing international communication across departments and shows is key to this role. Working closely with your Head of Compositing counterparts in our other studios, you will contribute to planning the division of work between locations to maximise resources and productivity.
The line management of your Compositing team, including Supervisors, is a core part of this role. You will be accountable for conducting probationary reviews, annual appraisals including salary discussions, performance management and succession planning alongside hiring for your team when required. You’ll be responsible for developing your team and fulfilling their potential by providing mentorship and guidance.
- Deep understanding of Compositing within visual effects for high-end film and television.
- Extensive experience in the VFX industry
- Significant supervision and/or management experience in the VFX industry
- Previous experience in line management
- Extensive knowledge of Nuke compositing software plus an understanding of lighting and rendering software and knowledge of Houdini.
- Demonstrate superb problem-solving skills and take the initiative to propose ideas and suggestions
- Experience in project management, ability to prioritise tasks & time efficiently and give accurate time estimates on work.
- Experience in Coaching & mentoring artists in new techniques and efficiencies.
- Excellent technical skills
- Talent to influence and build strong working relations within an organisation
- Ability to understand the needs and demands of a production driven environment
Nice to Have
- Previous knowledge of the DNEG pipeline
- Experience in Python and general programming
- Maya, Houdini and/or equivalent 3D software knowledge
- Previous experience working in or with development teams
- Highly motivated
- Organised, pro-active and a self-starter
- Ability to work with competency, energy & enthusiasm with little supervision
- Excellent listening & communication skills, able to take direction and receive criticism
- A team player with clear communication, and a keenness for collaboration
- A team leader, approachable and personable, with strong motivational qualities
- Adaptable and with a willingness to learn new skills and techniques – including proprietary software
- Problem Solver
- Calm under pressure and committed to help productions meet deadlines
- Effective People Coach
- Superb problem-solving skills and takes initiative to propose and ideas and suggestions
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading VFX and animation studios for the creation of award-winning feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 8,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London), Asia (Bangalore, Mohali, Chennai, Mumbai) and Australia (Sydney).