Head of Creature
The Head of Creature oversees the people management, creative methodologies, and technical development priorities for Rigging and CFX artists. The Head of Creature is ultimately responsible for the delivery of the department’s work on shows, to the required quality and in the required time frame. This requires close collaboration with show production creative supervision teams and the ability to adapt to changing production needs. They directly manage Creature Supervisors, who provide leadership and supervision for Rigging and CFX artists assigned to individual shows. In collaboration with the Department Manager and Artist Manager, they provide continuity for artists in career development and team cohesion.
The Head of Creature role requires collaboration and communication with Heads of Creature in other global DNEG locations, heads of other departments, show production teams, technology teams, recruitment, and HR. They are key stakeholders in maintaining globally integrated technology and workflows while fostering innovation to continually improve the quality and efficiency of creative output and production processes.
- Hiring and performance management to maintain the required skills and experience within the Creature team to deliver world-class creative output for productions and for the continued development of the department.
- Mentorship of Creature Supervisors on all aspects of managing their artists, working with production, and overseeing the work on shows.
- Assignment of supervisors, leads, and artists to shows to provide the right balance of skill sets among show teams, and to give career progression opportunities where appropriate.
- Working with the Creature Supervisors to provide bids for new shows and rebid scope changes on current shows.
- Help define and enforce standardization in workflow, output, and development best practices within the global Creature department.
- Collaborate with software development teams on the specification, prioritizing, testing, and roll-out of new technology.
- Represent the needs of the Creature department in the cross-department pipeline and R&D planning conversations.
- Great communication and leadership skills.
- Good self-management and time management skills.
- Strong team working skills, supportive and collaborative when under pressure.
- Experience leading within VFX production environments and responding to client expectations.
- Experience with VFX pipeline architecture and problem-solving.
- A strong drive for optimization and efficiency while empowering artists.
- High level of proficiency in all technical and creative areas of creature pipeline technology including; deterministic and simulation deformation techniques, modular rigging, facial rigging, and geometry caching.
Nice to Have
- Experience in Houdini
- Experience in Maya
- Experience in Unreal
- Experience in Crowd work
- Experience in Feature Animation, TV or Games will also be taken into account
- Great leadership qualities, to support and mentor a diverse and talented team
- Organized, proactive self-starter
- A team player and clear communicator
- Approachable and personable.
- Adaptable and with a willingness to learn
- Calm under pressure
- Committed to continually raising standards
- A positive, can-do attitude
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading visual effects and animation companies for the creation of award-winning feature film, television, and multiplatform content. We employ more than 10,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London), Asia (Bangalore, Mohali, Chennai, Mumbai) and Australia (Sydney).