Software Developer – Unreal Engine
The Production Technology department at DNEG is responsible for creating and supporting the technology used by our artists and the software infrastructure required by a multi-site, global studio. With multiple film projects running in parallel, from the projects initial design, to production and post-production, there are complex problems, which arise through thousands of artists producing tens of thousands of shots and sharing assets.
As a Software Developer for Unreal Engine, you will be helping to drive how we can leverage Unreal to meet the varying needs of Virtual Production, Visual Effects, Feature Animation and TV production.
The Unreal team is responsible for integrating Unreal within DNEG’s pipeline and collaborating with production stakeholders and other members of Production Technology to develop efficient workflows and new technologies to maximise its impact on our production processes.
You will be required to:
- Manage DNEG's version of the Unreal Engine, deploying to artists on Windows and Linux
- Integrate Unreal with DNEG’s proprietary pipeline at DNEG
- Implement low level rendering and performance improvements to our build of the engine
- Act as a technical point of contact for Unreal
- Collaborate with key production stakeholders in an agile development environment.
- Collaborate with other developers within Production Technology on how to best leverage Unreal
- Write technical documentation and workflow guides for artists and developers to use
- Validate your work with methodical and rigorous testing.
- Ensure that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently
This is an excellent opportunity for passionate developers to collaborate with world-class artist on how Unreal and other real-time technologies can be leveraged in a global VFX & Feature Animation studio.
- A solid understanding of Unreal Editor, Unreal Engine, Blueprints and C++ APIs
- Experience with building and deploying UE in a multi-platform environment
- Extensive programming experience in C++ & Python
- Experience with source control systems and team development
- Experience with Linux and Windows
- Confident in navigating ambiguity and providing solutions when problem solving
- Be proactive and work with initiative, and comfortable with working in an agile environment with multiple priorities
Nice to have:
- Experience integrating Unreal with Perforce and/or other asset management systems
- Experience integrating Unreal with various input data streams (performance capture, virtual cameras)
- Experience with Virtual Production, VFX and Feature Animation tools and workflows
- Experience with multi-user Unreal development
- Experience developing VR/AR iOS apps
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
- Familiarity with VFX software packages, such as Houdini, Maya, Clarisse and Nuke
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing a diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading visual effects and animation companies for the creation of award-winning feature film, television, and multiplatform content. We employ more than 10,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London), Asia (Bangalore, Mohali, Chennai, Mumbai) and Australia (Sydney).