- Creating clear and concise material, taking care of editing and proofreading tasks Updating and maintaining a library of technical terminology and documentation Revising or rewriting existing technical literature
- Researching and gathering technical information and studying target audiences Testing whether users understand newly developed material
- Collaborating with engineers, developers and other technical specialists to ensure that they understand the subject
- Working closely together with printers, illustrators, graphic designers, translators and other relevant professionals
- Staying up to date with the latest trends and developments in the industry Producing electronic documentation in addition to hard copy manuals
- Plan and implement appropriate original and updated documentation for new and enhanced products in various formats (HTML, Eclipse plug-in, Markdown, PDF etc.) that is clear, concise, complete, free from technical and grammatical errors, and complies with Company house standards.
- Obtain, wherever possible, hands-on experience of the product being documented, in order both to gain a better understanding of its structure and operation, and to generate feedback on usability, reliability, and similar issues.
- During a project, proactively work with product developers to ensure that the product interfaces and error messages are clear, consistent, and uses terminology that the target audience will understand.
- Work with the Technical Author team to ensure that all documentation requests are acknowledged and scheduled according to request priority and team workload.
- Co-ordinate delivery of strategic and tactical improvements to documentation and authoring technologies as agreed with the Senior Manager, Product Services and Development.
- Liaise with others in the business and assist with other projects from time to time, as required by the Company.
Objectives of this Role
- Develop comprehensive documentation that meets organizational standards Obtain a deep understanding of products and services to translate complex product information into simple, polished, and engaging content
- Write user-friendly content that meets the needs of the target audience, turning insights language that sets our users up for success
- Develop and maintain detailed databases of appropriate reference materials, including research, usability tests, and design specifications
- Evaluate current content and develop innovative approaches for improvement
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Research, outline, write, and edit new and existing content, working closely with various departments to understand project requirements
- Independently gather information from subject matter experts to develop, organize, and write procedure manuals, technical specifications, and process documentation .Work with development and support leads to identify all documentation repositories, revise and edit, and determine the best solution for data compilation and centralized storage Research, create, and maintain information architecture templates that uphold organizational and legal standards, and allow for easy data migration
- Develop content in alternative media forms for maximum usability, with a consistent and cohesive voice across all documentation
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant technical field
- 2-4 years’ industry experience as an effective technical writer
- Proven ability to quickly learn and understand complex topics
- Previous experience writing documentation and procedural materials for multiple audiences Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail Experience working with engineering to improve user experience: design, UI, and help refine content and create visuals and diagrams for technical support content
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, with an eye for prioritization Firm understanding of the systems development life cycle (SDLC)
- Previous software development experience
- Certification through the Society for Technical Communicators
- Experience using XML tools to create documentation
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading visual effects and animation companies for the creation of award-winning feature film,
television, and multiplatform content. We employ more than 10,000 people
with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles,
Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London), Asia (Bangalore, Mohali,
Chennai, Mumbai) and Australia (Sydney).