Reporting to the Global Head of Layout, the CG Layout Supervisor works within the Layout Department and is typically assigned to one Show. The Layout Supervisor works with the VFX Supervisor, CG Supervisor and DFX Supervisor to ensure delivery of the work created by the Layout team of the assigned Show is of the highest standard. They are responsible for guiding the process of layout and will creatively and technically lead their teams throughout the project, ensuring that good and clear communication occurs at all times between the artists, production team and show leads/supervisors, as well as working collaboratively with other department supervisors. They ensure that the artists in their team use consistent methodologies to deliver the highest quality of work on time, on budget, and in a sustainable way. They are expected to solve technical problems, designing the layout approach on the show, sequences and shots and set the creative and technical standards for their team in the framing of the Layout Department’s vision.
A key facet of the role will be leading and mentoring the team through technical and creative challenges. The CG Layout Supervisor will lead by example with on-the-spot guidance, as well as contribute to training schemes implemented with the in-house trainers, in order to meet the briefs set by the VFX Supervisor.
Creative and Technical Responsibilities:
- Delivering creative realisation to the VFX/DFX Supervisor and ensuring creative continuity across a Show.
- Interpreting the creative vision of the VFX/DFX Supervisor and providing a clear creative brief to each artist.
- Presenting and selling work to the VFX/DFX Supervisor.
- Providing creative and technical leadership, support and feedback for all artists within the Layout team.
- Delivering the output of the department to the required quality standards.
- Delivering department documentation for Show post mortem.
- Adhering to consistent department workflows and processes.
- Maintaining department documentation.
- Strategies to improve operational efficiency on an on going basis with the Global Head of Layout and other CG Layout Supervisors.
- Testing new technology to improve operational efficiency.
- Delivering the highest quality work to dailies according to the production schedule.
- Ensuring feedback is concise and constructive in directing Artists to reach milestones and show targets.
- Approving work that is ready to progress to the next department.
Production Planning Responsibilities:
- Delivering work on schedule by efficiently managing productivity and cross department communication.
- Providing accurate time estimations as a basis for delivery plans and schedules for shows.
Talent Development Responsibilities:
- Providing accurate and detailed feedback on artists and gives timely feedback to artists to support their growth and development.
- Recruitment, including reviewing applications, interviewing and providing conclusive summaries.
- Planning and delivering training.
- Artistic and technical mentorship of Leads and Principal Artists
Team Management Responsibilities:
- Assigning appropriate tasks to each artist on their team.
- Extensive high end vfx experience in feature film
- Proven team supervision experience
- Extensive experience using Maya
- Experience in camera animation
- Strong artistic eye and understanding of composition, staging and cinematography
- A thorough understanding of storytelling and continuity
- Thorough understanding of 3D VFX processes and production pipelines
- Demonstrates strong skill-set in troubleshooting pipeline issues
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Experience meeting deadlines while retaining a high quality of work
Nice to Have
- Experience in live action cinematography
- Passionate about photography
- Scripting knowledge (Python/Mel)
- Onset experience
- Passionate about film, cinematography, layout and photography
- Organised and pro-active
- A team leader, approachable and personable
- A collaborator and clear communicator
- Technically adapt with a willingness to learn new skills and techniques
- Calm under pressure and committed to meet production deadlines
- A positive, can-do attitude
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading visual effects and animation studios for the creation of feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 7,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Mumbai).