Director of Construction for Multi-Family Apartments
As a top 10 U.S. homebuilder—and the fastest-growing public builder for three years in a row—we know what it takes to be a market gamechanger, and that includes providing you with all the resources, opportunities and benefits to build a thriving and rewarding career.
Team members enjoy an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with employer match, paid time off and sick leave, plus home and mortgage discounts. We also offer competitive salaries with the potential for discretionary bonuses and/or commission structure (depending on the position).
Our mission of building, financing and insuring A Home For Every Dream™ is only possible with the best talent in the industry. If that’s you—if you’re a self-starter, changemaker and thoughtful collaborator ready to take their career to the next level—then apply today!
Position Summary: The Director of Construction for Multi-Family will partner closely with the Senior Vice President of Construction in the launch of our new Century Living Multi-Family (Apartment) brand. The person in this role will wear multiple hats, taking on a Leadership role in helping to implement Construction processes and procedures, while also having a "roll-up-your-sleeves" attitude in the launching of our new team!
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Provides predevelopment input of constructability and cost.
- Conduct weekly meetings with the Construction staff
- Present a professional image in accordance with company appearance standards.
- Maintain a high level of ethics and integrity in all dealings.
- Implement and maintain Procore for their projects.
- Review progress set of design documents, ensure constructability
- Assist in bidding projects
- Provides oversight for value engineering for all pre-development projects.
- Maintain all final construction documents, schedules, and budgets.
- Helps with providing qualified trades for the bidding process.
- Coordinates plans, specs, and bids to finalize subcontractor scopes.
- Manages and assembles all of GMP documents.
- Responsible for all aspects of multiple projects from start to finish.
- Manages subcontractor change orders.
- Reviews’ suppliers’ and subcontractors' pay requests; manage the approval process.
- Directly supervises the rest of the project team.
- Complete project closeout including turnover, warranty, and final completion documents.
- Implement and maintain companies’ safety programs.
- Oversee all phases of construction through project completion
- Ensure that construction schedules are being met.
- Understand and maintain the current lead times for subcontractors and suppliers, and provide them with copies of the schedule on a timely basis.
- Communicate with the team regarding the status of construction on a weekly basis
- Ensure each subcontractor’s understanding of and strict adherence to established scopes of work, schedules, plans, specifications, and quality standards.
- Implement and manage the submittal process.
- Ensure that conflicts with subcontractors are handled promptly and fairly.
Job Site Management
- Monitor and maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the community entrance, streets, and common areas.
- Properly manage the location and appearance of all job site equipment, restrooms, and materials to ensure they do not interfere with marketing efforts and occupied buildings.
- Know and enforce all job site rules, regulations, and safety.
- Maintain all established erosion control measures and land development features.
- Always enforce the company’s quality standards
- Ensure work in the field is being installed per plans and specifications
- Conduct all quality control inspections in accordance with company requirements. Document in homeowner file all quality inspection checklists.
- Look for ways to improve quality and make recommendations to management regarding possible changes.
- Ensure each unit is built in accordance with established budget parameters.
- Monitor job sites continually to identify and correct inefficiencies and waste.
- Authorize payment only after field verification of quality and 100% completion of work.
- Resolve any questions or problems regarding invoices and/or payments with the appropriate parties.
- Work with 3rd party inspectors and manage Non-Conformance Logs.
Plans and Permits
- Monitors the preparation of required architectural, structural, and MEP plans for each project.
- Gather redline comments and cause them to be incorporated into the plans.
- Maintain all appropriate plans in a current status.
- Originals of stamped/approved building plans, site plans, construction drawings, etc.
- Maintain and manage RFI’s
- Maintain and manage the Submittals
- Assist in obtaining the permit and submitting information to the Building Department.
- Ensure all site personnel complies fully with Century Living’s safety program.
- Ensure job site safety meetings are conducted on a regular basis and maintain documentation in the appropriate OSHA file.
- Monitor job sites daily and address apparent safety issues immediately.
- Accompany site safety inspectors and provide any documentation they require.
- Ensure any job site accidents are handled and documented in accordance with company requirements.
- Maintain a certified first aid kit in the construction field office.
- Responsible for the development and monitoring of budgets. Approval authority for purchases and contracts for specific communities under supervision and predetermined limits.
- Responsible for planning and directing work and appraising performance. Makes recommendations to the Division President on promotions/transfers, salary actions, hiring, disciplinary discussions, and terminations.
Works in the office as well as outside in extreme weather conditions: Requires walking, climbing, standing, and sitting for long periods.
Knowledge, Skills & Background:
- Maintain current and appropriate knowledge of all national and local codes.
- Maintain appropriate structural and application knowledge.
- Project resource allocation from internal and external resources.
- Project documentation, communication, and reporting
- Cost estimating, and budget development in collaboration with Vice President of Construction
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential issues, and devise contingency plans if required
- Ongoing troubleshooting and problem solving
- Ensure the project is built on budget, on schedule, and on drawing specifications
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial reports.
- Ability to read blueprints.
- Ability to plan, organize, manage, and supervise activities of direct reports.
- Ability to analyze problems and recommend solutions.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies,
- or members of the business community.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with customers, contracted agencies and workers, other employees, supervisory personnel.
Education & Experience:
- A Bachelors degree in Construction Management is strongly preferred
- 5+ years of experience in Multi-family Apartment construction
- Previous experience in a Leadership role
- Experience in scheduling, ordering, field supervision, quality control.
- Previous experience with BuildPro construction software is a plus!
- Highly proficient in Microsoft applications (Excel, Word).
Century intends to offer the selected candidate within the range stated; the final offer will be based on various factors including experience. Base pay range of $110,000.00 - $135,000.00 plus an annual bonus, commission, sales bonus, occasional incentive, or quarterly bonus, whichever is applicable.