Desktop Support Specialist
Job ID: 23-221
Come Join Our Passionate Team! At Barracuda, we make the world a safer place. We believe every business deserves access to cloud-enabled, enterprise-grade security solutions that are easy to buy, deploy, and use. We protect email, networks, data and applications with innovative solutions that grow and adapt with our customers’ journey. More than 200,000 organizations worldwide trust Barracuda to protect them — in ways they may not even know they are at risk — so they can focus on taking their business to the next level.
We are hiring a Desktop Support Technician to provide a single point of contact for end-users to receive support and maintenance within the organization’s desktop computing environment. This includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all PC hardware and equipment, in a primarily Microsoft Windows-based environment to ensure optimal workstation performance. This role reports into a Manager of IT.
What you’ll be working on
- Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex desktop problems for end-users, and recommend and implement corrective solutions.
- Create new hire accounts for local users, including creating accounts in Active Directory, adding computers to the domain, and setting up phones for new hires.
- Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end-user workstations and related hardware and software to deliver required desktop service levels.
- Collaborate with Network and Systems Administrators to ensure efficient operation of the desktop computing environment.
- Where required, administer, and resolve issues with associated end-user workstation, telecom, and networking products.
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, e-mails, and/or support tickets regarding desktop, networking, and telecom problems.
- Assist in preparing, maintaining, and upholding procedures for logging, reporting, and statistically monitoring desktop operations.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of all desktop components and equipment.
- Accurately document instance of desktop equipment or component failure, repair, installation, and removal.
- Assist in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning for meeting future desktop hardware needs.
- Assist with some facilities related work like moving equipment, coordinating with our global facilities team, building management and various contractors.
Technologies you’ll be using
- Windows 10
- Mac iOS
- Office 365
- Active Directory
- Carbon Black
- Others as needed
What you bring to the role
- Degree in Computer Science and/or 0-2 years relevant work experience
- A+ or MCP Certification not required but a plus.
- Excellent technical knowledge of desktop hardware and software, including Microsoft OS, Mac iOS and Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of maintaining user accounts in Active Directory.
- Excellent technical knowledge of PC internal components.
- Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
- Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and OEM guides.
- Ability to conduct research into PC issues and products as required.
- Ability to work unsupervised for long periods of time.
- Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Strong customer-service orientation
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of and experience using Linux terminal commands, Remote Desktop, VNC, Antivirus software, and remote software distribution tools.
What you’ll get from us
- High-quality health benefits
- 401k plan with employer match
- Work-life balance
- Internal career-growth opportunities
- Flexible PTO