Veterinary Technician (Emergency Department) - Heart of Texas Specialty and Emergency Center
The ideal candidate:
- strong veterinary skill set
- superior customer service skills
- strong communication skills
Why work at Heart of Texas Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center?
Heart of Texas Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center operates full-service, 24-hour-a-day medical facilities and is composed of dedicated doctors with the aim of providing high quality medical care to the companion animal population in Austin. We provide specialty care in the departments of Critical Care, Surgery, Internal Medicine and Oncology (Medical) and we are looking to expand. We have good relationships with local Cardiology, Ophthalmology, Acupuncture, and Radiology specialists that provide in-hospital service. We pride ourselves on creating an emotionally intelligent work environment for our team and strive to maintain a strong work/life balance.
The purpose of this position is to perform a variety of animal-health and client-education duties. The Emergency Technician ensures quality pet and client care.
The Emergency Technician should be proficient in both inpatient and outpatient technician duties, have a working knowledge of emergency, surgical and laboratory techniques and remain calm during stressful situations. A keen ability to empathize, prioritize, multitask, and manage time is a must. Emergency Technicians must also possess excellent communication skills both with coworkers and clients.
- At least 3 years recent experience in veterinary practice environment with increasing responsibilities.
- Ability to perform routine veterinary medical procedures (e.g. place IV catheters, intubate, phlebotomy, collect samples, knowledge and use of routine veterinary equipment and administer injections) as well as properly restrain patients.
- Knowledge of spelling and meaning of commonly used veterinary medical terminology and procedures.
- Ability to calculate fluid rates, drug dosages and CRIs.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks in the time allotted without direct supervision.
- Demonstrates the ability to show empathy toward clients and treat animals with respect and compassion while maintaining a commitment to outstanding client service.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills.
- Able to stay on task and work energetically for entire shift, sometimes exceeding 12 hours per day. Shift does not end until all duties are completed.
- Veterinary Technician licensure is preferred.
- High school diploma or GED
We offer a terrific benefits package for you and your pets!
If you are an experienced Emergency Vet Tech looking for an amazing opportunity to learn and grow, we want you to join our team!
We look forward to hearing from you!