Legal Counsel - Ezra
Job Role: Legal Counsel
Reporting to: Ezra General Counsel
Location: Toronto, Canada
Start Date: September 2021
Who we are
Imagine what even the world’s finest organizations could achieve if all of their employees were coached to be their absolute best.
At Ezra, we’re on a mission to do just that. We believe through coaching, people get to know themselves. Their goals. Weaknesses. Hang-ups. And once they know all that, they can build on the good stuff and work on the rest.
This mindset applies not only to our clients, but is manifested in our own Ezra family. We believe we are changing people’s lives. We believe a happy team is a productive team. We want our people to care and be proud of what they do. We also practice what we preach – every member of our teams gets to experience the superpower that is coaching for themselves, amongst some other pretty incredible perks.
Ezra is the fastest growing global virtual coaching company, supporting some of the world’s leading companies. If all of this resonates, Ezra just might be the place for you.
The primary responsibilities of the Legal Counsel, will be to focus on drafting, reviewing and assisting in the management of a variety of sales and service agreements related to Ezra’s virtual coaching business and other supplier contracts relevant to Ezra’s operations. You will also need to support on a number of day to day operational matters, commercial governance issues and compliance activities.
In this role, there will be a strong focus on supporting the US and Canada based Ezra sales teams through proactive training on key legal and regulatory issues and supporting contractual negotiations with clients. Other key stakeholder relationships will include supporting the Contracts Administator to ensure contracting processes are correctly followed, flag any areas of concern and deliver creative solutions to assist the local business teams.
You will need to partner closely with the Ezra Finance, Operations and HR teams on a variety of new initiatives to support the rapid growth of the business. As Ezra is a global business unit of LHH, you will also need to partner with LHH Global Privacy and Data Security teams as well as the LHH Legal team as and when required.
The Legal Counsel will also liaise with and keep the Ezra General Counsel (based in UK) informed of relevant legal matters and become involved in other global legal projects, including data protection, general corporate and employment law matters.
What you’ll do
- Contract Preparation: Review and assist business developers, sales leaders and management in the negotiation of client contracts, technology agreements, licenses and other contracts relevant to the Ezra business, and provide advice to internal stakeholders responsible for such agreements.
- Contract Templates: Make adjustments as necessary to current templates to reflect any changes in internal process, corporate policies or procedures, laws or regulations, or other matters that would require modification of Ezra standard agreement terms.
- Coordinate the process of completing contracts in a timely manner in accordance with the project's schedule, owning it from start to finish.
- Day to day support and management of local Ezra company secretarial matters in US and Canada and coordinating with LHH Legal team as and when necessary
- Data Protection: Assist in the implementation of organizational information security and privacy policies and procedures in coordination with the LHH global legal team and Privacy/ Information Security departments.
- Design & delivery of targeted legal training to local business teams to improve the basic understanding of key contracting/legal issues as well as the quality of commercial contract negotiation skills within Sales teams, especially for the high volume of new joiners
- Review and interpret laws and regulations to become fully knowledgeable about laws and regulations applicable to Ezra, including Ezra’s capabilities and constraints.
- Review and help implement and enforce Ezra and Adecco Group policies and procedures to ensure compliance and with a view to risk reduction and productivity improvements.
- Assist and take responsibility in other duties and special projects as requested by the Ezra General Counsel.
- Advise the Ezra General Counsel and other executives on legal considerations inherent in a variety of legal matters, in order to ensure that Ezra business decisions are made with full knowledge of applicable legal considerations and potential risks for the business
- Qualified to practise in US and Canada with valid licences/practising certificates.
- Between 3-5 years of post qualification legal experience (with some prior in-house legal experience in fast paced, agile environments such as start ups/ digital ventures preferred), including proven experience in contract negotiation and with navigating complex global agreements
- Demonstrated knowledge of privacy and data protection legislation
- Demonstrated experience of owning and closing large, global contracts with multi national clients within aggressive timelines
- Service industry experience is a plus
- Strong business focus and understanding, along with strong project management skills and a process development background
- Ability and experience to work well with others, demonstrate performance on team projects, and work with cross functional teams and teams in other geographic locals
- Self-starter to handle assignments, with the ability to adapt as required, be pragmatic and operate with confidence with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate simply but effectively at all levels of the organization and especially with the Sales teams
- A naturally proactive professional who seeks to build strong relationships within the business, is comfortable with executive exposure, and who has a strong commitment and identification with business objectives
- Confident Legal business partner, reliable, and the ability to work well under pressure, manage challenging situations, including the ability to multi-task, complete projects on time and adjust to changing priorities to always deliver commercially sound,risk based legal solutions
- High standard of personal and professional integrity, solid risk based judgement and a flexible, but principled, problem-solving approach
- Ability to undertake some limited travel within region (eg for business critical client negotiations or provision of face to face training to business teams) as and when required
What we offer
- Competitive salary with bonus potential
- Your own world class coach
- Regular team social events
We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to having a thriving, diverse team where everyone has a voice and feels able to be themselves. We believe that through valuing our uniqueness and respecting our differences, we can achieve more, and that diversity adds to our culture. Attracting and developing a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we serve is essential to us.