Business Development Manager – Energy
King & Spalding, a leading global law firm, seeks a Business Development (BD) Manager to support our Energy & Project Finance team, which sits within our Corporate, Finance and Investments (CFI) Practice Group and works as a member of our broader Energy Industry BD team. The role works closely with BD peers to support pitches and proposals, directory and award submissions, events and other strategic initiatives. This person will also work closely with colleagues across the firm’s Marketing Department.
The ideal candidate is forward-thinking, energetic and detail oriented, brings substantive transactional knowledge with a preference to prior experience within the energy industry. The person must have at least six years’ experience in a comparable role at a law firm or similar professional services environment. We are looking for a self-starter who is energized by an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment, thinks beyond the day-to-day, works collegially and collaboratively with colleagues, and is hands-on in approach.
There is a strong preference for the role to be based in Houston.
The firm offers a generous total compensation package with bonuses and raises awarded in recognition of individual merit-based performance. Eligible employees may participate in King & Spalding’s comprehensive benefit program, including health and wellness plan, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and a health savings account, a 401(k) plan, profit sharing plan, discount programs, and a substantial Paid Time Off (PTO) program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Candidates will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead and draft content for RFPs and pitches, including coordination with other business developers
- Support business development leads on cross-selling opportunities for the Energy & Project Finance team and Energy Industry team in collaboration with Business Development colleagues
- Help support client targeting program for supported areas, including prompting and monitoring pursuit activities, and tracking and reporting on results
- Conduct strategic research on potential clients, competitors, and practice developments to identify business trends and opportunities and ensure that K&S is optimally positioned to grow market share
- Assist business development leads with team meetings, including, preparing materials and speakers, and project management of actions coming from meetings
- Work with business development leads to create and maintain materials to support pitches and proposals
- Coordinate firm-hosted business development events, including receptions, client entertainment outings, substantive presentations, webinars, etc., working closely with participating lawyers and Marketing Department colleagues on invitation list development, event materials, participant tracking, engagement, on-site management, and targeted follow-up activities
- Identify and facilitate K&S participation in sponsorships, conferences, memberships and other key profile-building opportunities for the practice, office and individual lawyers in each
- Manage legal directory and league ranking submissions, and assist the Public Relations team in the generation of matters and other information for awards submissions
- Create and maintain other relevant marketing collateral
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALITIES:
Key attributes include:
- Flexible, forward thinking, proactive, energetic and detail-oriented team player
- Professional and approachable demeanor, with comfort and competence both in dealing with senior lawyers and working collaboratively with other lawyers and business services colleagues throughout the firm
- Excellent project management skills, with keen attention to detail and an ability to prioritize and execute multiple ongoing tasks often under tight deadlines
- An ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- An effective change management approach
- “Team player” mentality with great collegiality and who responds well to an evolving environment and is willing to be flexible and lend support where needed
- Superior presentation, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Candidates should have well-developed Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, and be proficient in contact relationship management databases, such as Microsoft Dynamics
- Candidates are required to have a bachelor’s degree
We are proud of our remarkably cohesive culture, which now encompasses more than 2000 lawyers and business professionals in 23 offices worldwide. We seek to attract and develop the very best talent to work with us.
King & Spalding LLP (K&S) is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal, and local laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability or any other status protected by applicable law.