US Youth Years - Youth Engagement Manager
US Youth Years - Youth Engagement Manager
Location: Washington, DC | Type: Full Time | Experience Level: Mid-Level
Ashoka invests in people who see the world not as it is, but as it could be; who seek to change a broken system instead of letting it continue. We call them social entrepreneurs, and over the past 35 years, we have supported more than 3,800 Ashoka Fellows as leading social entrepreneurs in 70 countries.
Our work is based on a fundamental insight: Behind every social innovation, there are human beings. Supporting the best of them, and connecting them with a network of peers, is the most effective way to bring about social change.
Our vision is a world where everyone is a changemaker – a world where everyone has the skill and confidence to drive social change and is committed to the good of all.
About Ashoka’s Youth Years
Ashoka Youth Years is on the forefront of a movement to inspire every young person to become a changemaker - anyone who takes action to solve problems or create opportunities for the greater good. In partnership with young people and influential institutions, we build and activate communities of change leaders that are shifting the framework on how society views youth and how youth view themselves.
Your Role: Youth Engagement Manager
Ashoka Changemaker Challenges spotlight and support youth around the world through social venture and social innovation competitions run in partnership with organizations such as T-Mobile, Taco Bell, and Prudential. Through this program, we support the growth of young changemakers, helping them to reach new levels in their social impact projects and to empower their peers to join the Everyone a Changemaker movement.
As the Youth Engagement Manager, you will work closely with the Challenge team to design journeys and engagements that support our full network of young people across the US. You will help drive our outreach efforts to source and select diverse young changemakers, provide 1:1 mentorship to teams of young people, steward ongoing community building, and lead our virtual info sessions with a team of peers.
We expect the Youth Engagement Manager to be organized, resourceful, professional, and able to take ownership of both strategy and operational efficiency as needed. They will join a fast-paced team of implementers and effective project managers and be immediately immersed in the worlds of changemaking, youth, and event curation.
- Design and execute new outreach strategies for network growth and youth activation rooted in DEI goals.
- Pitch, curate, and execute youth-forward opportunities to support young people on their changemaker journey and activate their peers to be changemakers (workshops, resources, toolkits, peer-led sessions, etc.)
- Design and implement communication strategies to engage young changemakers, families, and educators across partnerships. For example, coordinating monthly newsletters, revamping and reimagining our social media presence, digital content creation, and managing individual-level communications.
- Help the core team build out new and pre-existing tools, resources, products and courses to reach early adopters of changemaking in target markets and through strategic partnerships.
- Document and summarize efforts and recommendations for partner reporting and future learnings. Support the team with operational and logistical tasks as it relates to in-person convenings to ensure a youth-forward, purpose-driven experience for our participants, chaperones, and partners.
Who you are
Successful candidates will possess most of the following skills and experiences:
- You identify as a changemaker and see the potential in all young people being powerful changemakers.
- You have experience working with young people both in person and online
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills for internal and external communications in English. Must be able to communicate with young people, partners, parents, and educators professionally and thoughtfully throughout the week with ease.
- You have previously led a team and executed a vision together with measurable results.
- You are detail oriented, no matter how small the task.
- You have an appreciation for mechanics and a thirst for making stuff work.
- You can work under deadline, but flexible enough to move fluidly when deadlines shift, priorities change, and revisions need to be made.
- You are always thinking 2-3 steps ahead by asking questions, solving problems, testing out solutions, and being proactive.
- You have excellent execution skills in delivering outcomes while managing competing priorities and ambiguity.
- You have the flexibility and willingness to take initiative.
- Entrepreneurial experience. You have launched and led your own venture.
- Ability to work in the US without VISA sponsorship is required.
- Travel within the US for partnership support throughout the year.
- Fluency in English required.
- Able to pass a US Background check.
- Willing and able to relocate to Washington, DC area.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
As part of our Ashoka global team-of-teams, you will interact with the executive leadership team and entrepreneurial staff from around the world who are working on a variety of different issue areas. You will work closely with partnership managers and an extended challenge team to bring our changemaker challenges to life. You will also have meaningful interactions with global Ashoka colleagues from all over the world.
- We are creators of solutions.
- We work with integrity and transparency.
- We lead with empathy.
- We are playful and have fun.
- We have an eye for discovery, wonder, and innovation.
- We own our leadership.
What Happens if You’re Selected as the Youth Engagement Manager?
You’ll be invited to join our team in our offices near the beautiful Potomac River in Arlington, VA! If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at [email protected].
$50,000 - $60,000 (dependent on experience) with potential for 10% performance pay at the end of the fiscal year upon successful completion of key goals.
Full medical coverage, optional dental, flexible holiday and vacation plans, a yearly professional development stipend, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
Learn more about our hiring process here.