Ashoka Global Controller
Controller, Ashoka Global
This is a unique leadership opportunity to work at a globally recognized, social impact organization that is changing the world for good of all. The Controller at Ashoka, reporting to the chief financial officer (CFO), has oversight responsibility, in partnership with the CFO, over all finance, accounting and reporting activities in the Organization. The Controller will supervise the Finance team at Global, the Regional Finance Managers and the Oremus Finance/Accounting support team. The Controller will work closely with senior leadership team, while assisting the CFO in preparation of presentations to the board finance and audit committee.
The Controller will have functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration, and ensure the Organization has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct clean audits. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
The Controller will create and maintain enduring partnerships with the CFO, senior leadership, and the human resources (HR), legal and information technology (IT) staff to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, legal and IT functions.
Finance and Accounting Leadership
• Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements; apply reporting standards for nonprofit entities.
• Implement appropriate internal controls and mechanisms for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures, and ensure appropriate safeguarding of Organization assets and the proper recording of financial transactions.
• Coordinate all audit activity.
• Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports timely and accurately; clearly communicate financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of Ashoka’s financial status.
• Review and approve payroll.
• Support the CFO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
• Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period.
• Maintain and manage relationships with external stakeholders, including banks, lending institutions, large vendors, etc.
• Establish and monitor implementation of finance policies, procedures and administrative systems to support finance/program operations.
- Evaluate and lead team to improve Team’s application of the accounting ERP system (NetSuite); rollout the ERP system in other country offices as appropriate in coordination with regional and local finance managers.
• Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
• Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Provide coaching to other staff while working collaboratively with them to define and find solutions to issues. Be willing to roll up sleeves in tackling issues including technical challenges.
Reporting and Supervision
The Controller reports to the chief financial officer, CFO, and provides oversight to the following positions:
- Accountants and analysts
- Regional Finance Managers/Directors
- Oremus Finance/Accounting Support Team
Required Qualification and Experience
The candidate for the Controller position will have the following educational and professional qualifications and experience:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- 2 – 5 years in Controller or equivalent position
- Experience in not-for-profit organization and accounting, including grant accounting
- Public accounting experience will be a plus
- Experience managing and directing teams of finance and accounting professionals
- Strong knowledge and experience in ERP platform, preferably NetSuite
- Managing financial statements audits, organization’s strategy, budget, and planning
- Strong ability to research technical GAAP topics and also implement rules as appropriate
- Problem-solving skills. Willing to face unique challenges never experienced before
- Ability to work and collaborate with people in other teams with no financial knowledge
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with smart, caring professionals who want to make a meaningful change in the world.