Backend Software Engineer
Backend Development Budapest, Hungary
Liferay, Inc. is a uniquely profitable B2B enterprise software company with 1,200+ fiery-eyed employees all across Europe, the Americas, the Middle East, Asia, and Africa. As a renowned provider of enterprise open source technologies, we have been recognized by Gartner for empowering businesses around the world to solve complex digital challenges. Liferay Experience Cloud is an all-in-one solution that unites our Liferay DXP and cloud platform capabilities with built-in analytics and B2B commerce functionality, reducing the time to market and allowing for accelerated innovation - serving notable customers across the globe such as Airbus, US Bank, Honda, and Desjardins.
But we don’t just make awesome software, we are also fueled by a greater-than-profit vision. By building a vibrant business, making technology useful, and investing in communities, we make it possible for people to reach their full potential to serve others. We give our employees five days off to volunteer at charities they’re excited about, and Liferay donates 10% of our profits to charities around the world. Oh, we’re also self-funded which gives us the freedom to work on whatever we think brings the most value to customers and communities in the long run!
About You and this Role
The Liferay Engineering team is looking for a Backend Software Engineer with Java knowledge and experience. You will work both on maintaining existing components and creating new ones. You will also participate not only in the implementation, but also in the definition of the work itself, and we expect you to give your opinion openly, both from the perspective of a user and as an engineer.
The team focuses on delivering content publication and bulk workflow solutions in a mature platform for on premises and Cloud based environments like PaaS and SaaS also. Needless to say, it is full of challenges.
You will work with in-house technologies, widespread frameworks and tools (OSGi, Gradle, JAX-RS, a wide variety of Java standards), and also with external APIs. We do not expect you to know everything, but you need strong learning abilities to equip yourself with the necessary knowledge.
- Designing, implementing, testing, documenting and maintaining new content publication, bulk workflow features and frameworks.
- Writing high quality and maintainable code and keeping technical debt under control.
- Working in a long-term software product. Building strong foundations, delivering the minimum viable solution and iterating to achieve the best possible solutions for multiple business domains.
- Working on a platform that
- runs in Cloud also as a Software as a Service (SaaS),
- is evolving to support Headless and B2B services and
- works as a standalone product that can integrate several systems and the date behind them for enterprises.
- Communicating and collaborating with multinational teams including but not limited to Product and Test Engineers, Project and Product Managers, Developer Leads, and other product stakeholders.
- Suggesting improvements and being humble enough to allow other suggestions. Everyone learns from everyone, no matter how brilliant you are.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent, 3+ years long, real, hands-on experience in backend programming in a professional environment.
- Basic understanding of common Computer Science concepts (algorithms, data structures, performance…).
- Self-management, self-motivation, proactiveness and organizational skills.
- Ability to write high quality code using Java.
- Experience with software engineering best practices: simplicity, testing, coherence, reviews, estimation.
- Knowledge of web technologies with respect to Java and with big codebases.
- Experience with Java Servlets, OSGi, gradle.
- Practical knowledge of Git and experience in Github based development.
- Experience in using Issue Management systems (e.g. JIRA, etc.)
- Convenience with working in English.
- Capability of working well with remote team members.
What We Offer
We are working in a high flexibility environment with cutting edge technologies and excellent opportunities to redefine how enterprise releases are handled and delivered. Employee development is part of our DNA. We place the highest priority on the improvement and success of our colleagues, with clarity of goals, performance, and clear opportunities to grow and succeed. We are continuously learning and constantly evolving new ways to enable skill development and growth across all roles. We enable an environment to allow you to perform your best to deliver a continuously improving service to our customers.
- Your health is important for us: We provide private health care to all our employees.
- Remote and On-site opportunity:
- You can work from your home - With a 2 days/month office days.
- You can work in the office - It’s open, you can use it every day and enjoy the office specific perks like beverages, snacks, Milka Monday, and Fruit Tuesday.
- Our working environment is very enjoyable, spacious, and bright with excellent faculties.
- Our colleagues enjoy a broad range of post work social activities, like online-baking, movie nights and weekend-long trips.
- We have a Library with technical and non-technical books which is constantly expanding and a variety of internal and external training.
- The office is 10 minutes’ walk from Gyöngyösi utca Metro Station. We also have extensive Bicycle parking and Car Parking availability.
- We support and contribute to our communities through our Employee Volunteering Program, including:
- 5 days/year in our Employee Volunteer Program to devote to the charity of your choice,
- 500€/year to donate to the charity of your choice.
Equal Opportunities Employer - Statement
Liferay is committed to the equal treatment of all candidates, customers and employees and to fostering a culture of dignity at work. Our operating procedure provides for equal opportunities in recruitment and employment with the aim to eliminate discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the basis of race, age, sexual orientation, gender, religion or beliefs, marital or civil partnerships status, family or dependency status, disability, pregnancy and maternity or membership of a traveling community.