Software Engineer Backend
Backend Development Vimercate, Italy
Liferay, Inc. is a uniquely profitable B2B enterprise software company with 1,000 fiery-eyed employees all across Europe, the Americas, Middle East, and Asia. As the leading provider of enterprise open source technologies, we have been recognized by Gartner for empowering businesses around the world to solve complex digital challenges. Our flagship product is the Liferay Digital Experience Platform, which companies like Honda, Bank of the West, and Airbus use to build customized experiences for their customers and employees. But we don’t just make awesome software, we are also fueled by a greater-than-profit vision. By building a vibrant business, making technology useful, and investing in communities, we make it possible for people to reach their full potential to serve others. We give our employees five days paid off to volunteer at charities they’re excited about, and Liferay donates 10% of our profits to charities around the world. Oh, we’re also self-funded which gives us the freedom to work on whatever we think brings the most value to customers and communities in the long run!
About You and this Role
Are you passionate about developing great software? Do you feel proud when you help create a product that many people use? Do you consider yourself to be a good developer? Do you enjoy working in a multidisciplinary and diverse team? You always wanted to work in open source for a living? If so, this might be your dream job. We are looking for someone with passion for software development and web technologies.
- Work in a long-term software product. Building strong foundations, without being constrained by frequent deadlines, delivering the best possible solution and iterating then.
- Work in an open source distributed company with strong ethical values, sharp vision, in an international environment.
- Design and implement new features and frameworks for the Liferay Platform and other Liferay products. Your software will be used by thousands of developers and end users around the world.
- Write high quality and maintainable code. Keeping technical debt under control.
- Participate in peer review processes, growing along with your teammates. Suggest improvements and be humble enough to accept suggestions. Everyone learns from everyone, no matter how brilliant you are.
- Use Git and GitHub in a daily basis: branches, merges, rebases, pull-requests, etc.
- Work closely with UX Designers and Product Managers to implement the shared vision.
Understand and share the values of agile development. No matter what fancy tools or words you know, whether you’re TDDer or not, agile is about core values.
- Experience >5 years with software engineering best practices: version control, unit testing, etc.
- Proficient with Git (or any other DVCS) and related branching patterns: git-flow, pull-requests, rebases, etc.
- It’s a big plus if you’re a contributor to open source, hackathons, meetups or whatever related to coding.
- Fully comfortable working in English and Italian, both written and spoken. Some of your teammates will be in the Americas, Asia or Europe.
- You’re a vocational programmer, a coder, an engineer and you’re proud of that.
- Self-starter, quick learner, self-motivated, proactive beyond your duty.
- Good team player. You’ll be part of the Liferay family and this is important for us.
- Excellent attention to detail. Seriously, more than that.
- Previous experience with Liferay Portal 7.0+
- Previous experience in working on a e-commerce platform
- You are able to produce detailed technical documentation for the features you develop.
- Working following agile methodologies
What We Offer
- Salary package w/ competitive benefits according to qualifications and experience
- Opportunities to take responsibility and grow professionally
- A positive and collaborative work culture
- Working at a leading open source company
Equal Opportunities Employer - Statement
Liferay is committed to the equal treatment of all candidates, customers and employees and to fostering a culture of dignity at work. Our operating procedure provides for equal opportunities in recruitment and employment with the aim to eliminate discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the basis of race, age, sexual orientation, gender, religion or beliefs, marital or civil partnerships status, family or dependency status, disability, pregnancy and maternity or membership of a traveling community.