US Venture Fellowship Associate
US Venture Fellowship Associate
Ashoka: Innovators for the Public
Forty years ago, Ashoka changed the framework of the social sector by introducing the idea that there is nothing more powerful than a bold, new idea in the hands of an exceptional social entrepreneur.
Ashoka is aiming for its next paradigm shift: a world in which everyone can be a changemaker. We're assembling a team of entrepreneurs and builders around the world to help us get there. If this sounds like the kind of institution you want to help create, consider joining us.
Ashoka hires people who have been starting and transforming things all their lives, whether that’s a school newspaper, a large company, or a local movement. We have a compelling opportunity for doers and changemakers who are passionate about spotting new ideas and building entrepreneurial teams.
The US Venture Fellowship Associate will join the search and selection team responsible for reviewing nominations and ultimately selecting 12-15 of the most transformative social innovators in the country each year to join the Ashoka fellowship. They also contribute time to the Fellowship team, responsible for coordinating and supporting our community of nearly 300 Ashoka Fellows elected in the U.S.. This is a unique role with a front-row view of positive social change and an opportunity to learn something every day.
The US Venture Fellowship Associate will possess strong multi-tasking abilities, as well as creativity, passion, and demonstrated commitment to positive social change and social entrepreneurship. This individual will be responsible for efficient and effective support of Ashoka US Venture & Fellowship Teams, including via key operations tasks.
The ideal candidate is:
- An expert organizer
- Fluent in English, with other languages (especially Spanish) being an asset
- Someone who enjoys writing and the challenge of distilling complex ideas
- Excited about working with Ashoka Fellows
- Comfortable with ambiguity and a self-starter
- Able to multi-task and innovate efficiently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
The US Venture Fellowship Associate will be responsible for:
Surfacing and sharing solutions:
- Investigate areas ripe for disruptive innovation through collecting and analyzing the examples of individual systems-changing social entrepreneurs who champion novel, impactful approaches.
- Build and cultivate networks of nominators, advisors, and Fellow candidates across sectors, communities, and geographies.
- Prepare short candidate summaries, longer-form new Fellow profiles, and memos on patterns and trends for internal and external use.
- Work collaboratively with other content producers at Ashoka, media partners, designers, and video editors to ensure these stories are shared and that they resonate widely.
Pipeline and operations support:
- Prepare candidate briefs for weekly review sessions
- Communicate and coordinate next steps with nominators and candidates
- Ensure data quality on Salesforce
- (Over time, join interviews with candidates and take on more of a role guiding candidacies.)
Engagement management, communications, and events:
- Coordinate and support 3-4 selection panels per year across the US
- Coordinate and support Fellowship convenings, 2-3 per year in the US
- Coordinate: working with the rest of the Venture team, liaise with and support individual candidates/Fellows and manage all travel, accommodations, vendor, and finance-related logistics.
- Host: as one of the first “in-person” experiences of Ashoka, help curate the overall experience so that it helps candidates feel their best while orienting and welcoming prospective Ashoka Fellow to the world’s largest peer community of social entrepreneurs.
- Support internal communications, to likely include sending a weekly round-up of updates and offers to Fellows, managing individual requests by or about Fellows, following up on specific communications and asks, and preparing content.
Location and Salary expectations: Arlington, VA; salary commensurate with experience.
How to apply: Apply via Jobvite. In addition to the prompts of the application, please attach a cover letter that includes the answers to these application questions below. Applications without responses to these three questions will be rejected automatically. Applicants can reapply at any time should they include the responses to these application questions.
1. What's a powerful idea or changemaker you've encountered in the last year or two? How did you come across it?
2. What qualities or skills would you bring to the work of interviewing Ashoka Fellow candidates?
3. What aspect of the role is most energizing to you?