US Corporate Regulation Summer Intern
Over its 40 years of operation, Ashoka has identified and supported over 4000 systems-changing social entrepreneurs (Ashoka Fellows) globally. Ashoka also works with dozens of companies across industries and geographies to pioneer system-wide change and drive companies’ abilities to integrate social and environmental impact considerations into core business. Through supporting social entrepreneurs and engaging employees in our partnerships, the Changemaker Companies Team at Ashoka provides a unique opportunity to help companies embody purpose and increasingly improve their social and environmental footprint.
We are looking for a self-driven, collaborative, highly professional individual who can help us deepen how we interact with the regulations and policies that inform the ESG and lobbying interests across our existing and prospective CMC partners. The Intern will work closely with members of the US Changemaker Companies Team (CMC), a global team at Ashoka with a strong presence in DC, to frame the project and develop deliverables. The work products of this internship will contribute to significant decision-making around our change management work with US-based, multi-national corporations.
This graduate-level internship will contribute to the following aspects of our work with companies:
- Strengthen the team’s understanding on the role ESG regulations, corporate lobbying practices and corporate legal structures have to drive reporting and action within companies, helping us leveraging these insights for how we engage with our current and prospective CMC programs
- Contribute to strategy development on how we advance the business for good movement in the US, given the regulatory environment.
- The length of the internship is from late-May 2023 to late August 2023 (with flexible start and end dates). There will be a summer break in July.
- This is a mostly remote summer internship that, if possible, will include occasional in-person meetings in Washington DC.
- It is an unpaid summer internship, but we can support you with applying to university funding and/or summer credits.
- A short cover letter expressing your interest in corporate transformation towards changemaking and/or your experience with regulatory and lobbying practices, and/or research expertise will be viewed favorably.
A summer research experience at the intersection of politics and business where you will:
- Map how different industries are regulated and how this influences market dynamics
- Surface insights into the lobbying trends, mechanisms, partnerships and how they influence regulations that impact corporations ESG practices
- Identify major Supreme Court decisions like Citizens United and how these influence market dynamics
- Conduct extensive research to clarify if and how different corporate legal structures influence ESG response and action within the US. Priority focus is on publicly traded companies and B2B companies.
- Knowledge of and experience with research and data analysis in fields such as policy, standards setting, market research, corporate lobbying, and regulations
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and meet self-imposed deadlines and targets.
- Experience and interest in the business for impact space.
- Strong interest and/or background in regulation and social and environmental impact.
- Alignment with Ashoka’s core strategy of Everyone a Changemaker.
- Fluent spoken and written English is a must.
- Current student in a relevant masters in policy or public affairs, legal experience a plus