Senior Data Engineer
About The ProbablyMonsters™ Central Team
Established in 2016, ProbablyMonsters is a next generation independent game company that creates long-lasting studios and exceptional games. Revolutionizing the way AAA game studios are built, ProbablyMonsters provides its teams the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers while delivering best-in-class entertainment through a positive people-first culture.
We have built three studios so far. Each of them has a unique identity built around the type of gamer experience they are creating. Knit together inside the ProbablyMonsters family culture, all studios are bonded by the core values of respect, trust, accountability, and approachability.
Supporting multiple simultaneous AAA game projects with shared resources and benefits, our Central Team connects all studios by the company’s mission to unite, guide, and empower developers to create exceptional entertainment experiences. Members of the Central team provide HR, Finance, IT, Engineering, Legal, Marketing, Biz Dev, and Operations guidance so our development studios get the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions.
The Central Team is looking for a seasoned, world-class Senior Data Engineer to join the ProbablyMonsters Data Insights team and help redefine how game studios can utilize data to create amazing experiences. Our team enables our studios to get the most out of their data by providing both an analytics platform and expertise to collaborate directly with the studio on their specific needs. In this critical role, you will build the analytics platform that serves as the foundation for our studio’s analytics needs. This includes contributing to the vision of the platform and turning that vision into a reality, a fully functional analytics platform capable of supporting multiple game titles.
Who You Are:
- You take pride in being able to turn data into meaningful insights
- You understand the challenges and pitfalls with building scalable and maintainable data systems
- You enjoy digging into the infrastructure on which your data systems run
- You know how and when to leverage existing services to build solutions faster and cheaper
- You enjoy writing reliable, resilient, performant code
- You have a strong desire to automate and test everything
- You enjoy engaging with teams to identify their analytics needs
What You Will Do:
- Innovate our data services to create a scalable, game-agnostic data analytics platform that serves all of our game studios and stakeholders
- Research, evaluate and prototype various data technology to ensure we are leveraging technologies that allow us to move quickly and stay nimble
- Design and implement data consumers responsible for processing very high volumes of event data
- Design data lakes and data warehouses that can support any query our studios need to throw at them
- Build supportable systems that enable successful and efficient live-ops support
- Collaborate closely with other engineers across the entire ProbablyMonsters family of studios
- Work with exciting datasets from multiple game titles
- Promote a culture of quality, reliability, and customer-focus
- Five years of experience building and operating data pipelines which ingest large volumes of event data from online games or services
- Five years of experience designing and implementing analytics solutions which include data lake storage, working with large unstructured datasets, and developing data models
- Three years of experience working with data systems hosted in the cloud; including experience with at least one managed service
- Ability to write code in Python, Java, Go, or equivalent language(s)
- Ability to write complex SQL queries
- Experience working with CI/CD technologies