Senior Tools Engineer
ProbablyMonsters is an independent AAA video game company that aims to change the way games are made and inspire a better industry for all. Our mission to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to redefine what it means to create exceptional games within a healthy, rewarding culture.
Our 3 development teams are each creating an original game:
- Firewalk™ is working on a new multiplayer IP to be exclusively published by PlayStation
- Cauldron™ is developing an adventure game
- Battle Barge™ is creating a co-op RPG
We are seeking a Senior Tools Engineer who is experienced in developing game tools and pipelines. Being able to support multiple teams in development.
The role for Senior Tools Engineer is for an experienced individual contributor that designs, develops, tests and maintains software code for game tools and pipelines. It requires the use of independent judgment in engineering principles and practices in tool development to effectively write clear, maintainable, and portable code. This role anticipates, identifies, and articulates problem areas and develops preventative solutions with limited direction. A Senior Tools Engineer is expected, when pointed at a complex feature, problem, or project, to solve a wide range of challenges in resourceful and effective ways.
The salary range for this position is $147,800 to $221,700. This range represents the salary for the position commensurate with experience, knowledge, and demonstrated success in the field.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Passionate about software technology and using it to solve hard problems for people.
- Very detail focused and will investigate all paths to find the best solution.
- Work with multiple game teams to identify gaps in pipelines, tools and workflows.
- Independently design, develop, test, and maintain high quality software code for the tools under development.
- Writes and implements clear, maintainable, portable code in C++, C#, Python.
- Contributes to discussions on the project’s technical limitations, scope, and scheduling.
- Help teams understand the tools / technology available, and how to make the best use of it in their development pipelines.
- Proactively identifies and anticipates technical issues, edge cases and performance related issues and works to provide knowledge or solutions so they do not impact development.
- Research problem spaces when there are no accepted best solutions.
- Utilize Jira to track work for engineering projects.
- Strong knowledge of engineering principles, best practices within tool & pipeline development.
- Strong methodology and problem-solving ability.
- Ability to take requests from stakeholders, clarify the requirements, formulate a plan, present that plan to the stakeholder, then execute.
- Strong ability to build productive internal/external working relationships, both providing and accepting information, feedback, advice, debate, and technical guidance withing engineering.
- Able to partner with product management and technical leaders to properly track and document engineering efforts in JIRA.
- Strong ability to author code in one or more programming languages; C++, C#, Python.
- Strong ability to build clear and concise engineering documentation.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Requires a minimum of 5 years of related or equivalent work experience.
- Experience working in software development on modern consoles (Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, PC etc.).
- Preferred experience working with cross-discipline teams within AAA Games.
- Preferred experience shipping software on multiple platforms.
- Preferred experience in product and service ownership within game development.
- Experience building tools in unreal editor.
- Experience building tools in multiple windows GUI frameworks.
- Experience interfacing with other game development software such as (P4, Backtrace, CDN’s, Jenkins, etc).
- A people-centric culture founded on respect, trust, approachability, and accountability.
- A stable home that values your potential, deeply cares about your work-life balance, and is committed to investing in your craft and long-term career.
- We offer a competitive benefits package, including a sign-on bonus; annual stock option grants; health coverage (medical, dental, vision) paid at 100% for the employee and subsidized by the Company for dependents; Flexible Spending Account eligibility; life, accidental death, and disability insurance coverage; annual 401K contribution by the Company; Employee Assistance Program; and extensive paid time off plus holiday closures.