Lead Engine & Tools
ProbablyMonsters is an independent AAA video game company that aims to change the way games are made and inspire a better industry for all. Our mission to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to redefine what it means to create exceptional games within a healthy, rewarding culture.
Our 3 development teams are each creating an original game:
- Firewalk™ is working on a new multiplayer IP to be exclusively published by PlayStation
- Cauldron™ is developing an adventure game
- Battle Barge™ is creating a co-op RPG
We are seeking a Lead Engine and Tools Engineer who is experienced in building and running the technology and team needed to support multiple game development studios. Specifically, has both envisioning and built shared engine and development pipelines that game teams were able to efficiently create & ship cross platform games on.
The role for Engine & Tools Lead is responsible for the technical direction, roadmap, hiring, budgeting, design / coding, and management of software engineers developing all engine and tools tech that will go into our platform. This includes managing core engine updates from Epic, new feature development, integrating shared code from game teams and then the testing and rollout of the platform back to our partners. Quickly finding the right balances between integrating middleware vs custom solutions, future proofing the platform vs solving immediate needs, and speed of execution vs tech dept. This role requires experience collaborating with other departments such as IT, game studios, production and often publishers to ensure that games can be delivered on time. The Lead of Engine and Tools is a high visibility and high impact position when successfully removing technology roadblocks out of the game teams’ paths.
The salary range for this position is $169,000 - $262,000. This range represents the salary for the position commensurate with experience, knowledge, and demonstrated success in the field.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Have support game teams in both Engine Engineering and Tools development roles.
- Enjoy creating games with Unreal Engine.
- Believes PC, console platforms and mobile are all valid game devices.
- Very detailed focused and customer friendly.
- Is excited by the onslaught of new tech in game development.
- Able to communicate very effectively with all the different studio disciplines.
- Not afraid of a command prompt.
- Partner with game teams to understand the upcoming development needs.
- Triage requests to ensure our teams are driven to solve the highest ROI real world problems.
- Design and code solutions to real problems.
- Support data driven investigations and prioritization whenever practical.
- Take the Lead on recruiting efforts to staff up the Engine & Tools teams.
- Implement and hold the team to meaningful software engineer best practices.
- Be observant and help people become better every day.
- Investigate issues all the way down to the root cause.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Strong understanding of 3D math (ex. Vector Math, Linear algebra).
- Shipped games on modern consoles (Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, PC etc.).
- Well versed in large scale development using C++ & Blueprint
- Has designed, built and over time improved technology platforms.
- Examples of building and keeping to a staffing plan and budget.
- Effectively anticipated technology shifts and designed to minimize impact.
- Has successfully worked with outside development partners.
- Requires proficiency in at least a few programming languages: C/C++, python, c#.
- Is not afraid to pivot quickly when situations change.
- Has worked in Maya, Photoshop, P4, WWise, GitHub, Linux, Backtrace.IO, WinDbg.
- 12 or more years of related or equivalent work experience.
- Sim shipped multiple games on Unreal Engine on multiple platforms.
- Experience with integrating middleware and outsourcers into studio pipelines.
- A people-centric culture founded on respect, trust, approachability, and accountability.
- A stable home that values your potential, deeply cares about your work-life balance, and is committed to investing in your craft and long-term career.
- Competitive benefits package, including a sign-on bonus; annual stock option grants; health coverage (medical, dental, vision) paid at 100% for the employee and subsidized by the Company for dependents; Flexible Spending Account eligibility; life, accidental death, and disability insurance coverage; annual 401K contribution by the Company; Employee Assistance Program; and extensive paid time off plus holiday closures.