Lead Engine & Tools
We are seeking a Lead Engine and Tools Engineer who is experienced in building and running the technology and team needed to support multiple game development studios. Specifically, has both envisioning and built shared engine and development pipelines that game teams were able to efficiently create & ship cross platform games on.
The role for Engine & Tools Lead is responsible for the technical direction, roadmap, hiring, budgeting, design / coding, and management of software engineers developing all engine and tools tech that will go into our platform. This includes managing core engine updates from Epic, new feature development, integrating shared code from game teams and then the testing and rollout of the platform back to our partners. Quickly finding the right balances between integrating middleware vs custom solutions, future proofing the platform vs solving immediate needs, and speed of execution vs tech dept. This role requires experience collaborating with other departments such as IT, game studios, production and often publishers to ensure that games can be delivered on time. The Lead of Engine and Tools is a high visibility and high impact position when successfully removing technology roadblocks out of the game teams’ paths.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Have support game teams in both Engine Engineering and Tools development roles.
- Enjoy creating games with Unreal Engine.
- Believes PC, console platforms and mobile are all valid game devices.
- Very detailed focused and customer friendly.
- Is excited by the onslaught of new tech in game development.
- Able to communicate very effectively with all the different studio disciplines.
- Not afraid of a command prompt.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Partner with game teams to understand the upcoming development needs.
- Triage requests to ensure our teams are driven to solve the highest ROI real world problems.
- Design and code solutions to real problems.
- Support data driven investigations and prioritization whenever practical.
- Take the Lead on recruiting efforts to staff up the Engine & Tools teams.
- Implement and hold the team to meaningful software engineer best practices.
- Be observant and help people become better every day.
- Investigate issues all the way down to the root cause.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Strong understanding of 3D math (ex. Vector Math, Linear algebra).
- Shipped games on modern consoles (Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, PC etc.).
- Well versed in large scale development using C++ & Blueprint.
- Has designed, built and over time improved technology platforms.
- Examples of building and keeping to a staffing plan and budget.
- Effectively anticipated technology shifts and designed to minimize impact.
- Has successfully worked with outside development partners.
- Requires proficiency in at least a few programming languages: C/C++, python, c#.
- Is not afraid to pivot quickly when situations change.
- Has worked in Maya, Photoshop, P4, WWise, GitHub, Linux, Backtrace.IO, WinDbg.
- 12 or more years of related or equivalent work experience.
- Sim shipped multiple games on Unreal Engine on multiple platforms.
- Experience with integrating middleware and outsourcers into studio pipelines.
ProbablyMonsters is a AAA independent video game company that aims to change the way games are made. We unite a diverse roster of development teams in a healthy, rewarding culture. We believe empowered creators build the most engaging games and deliver the best player experiences.
ProbablyMonsters is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
- We provide a rich benefits package:
- Medical Coverage - health, dental, and vision paid at 100% for the employee and dependents are subsidized by the Company.
- Healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance.
- 401(k) with an annual contribution by the Company.
- Paid holidays and vacation, bereavement leaves, and parental leave.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part-time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company.
- This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, exempt (salaried) position.
- The full salary range for this position is $169,000 - $262,000 per year. The upper third of the salary range is typically reserved for existing employees who demonstrate strong performance over time. When an offer is made, many factors are considered, such as your unique experience and skills, where you live, where the work will be performed, what similar jobs pay, internal equity, and what you're looking for.
- In addition to base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for additional incentives, such as a sign-on bonus and short- and long-term incentives. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.