Principal Character Technical Artist
ProbablyMonsters is looking for a creative, technical, and collaborative Principal Character Technical Artist. You will join a team concentrated on building new game concepts and worlds centered around a focused player experience. As part of the Incubation team, you’ll have the freedom to create, experiment, and try new gameplay ideas while forming new franchises and development teams. Everyone on the Incubation team is enthusiastic about helping to shape a culture of collaboration and trust while creating best-in-class games.
We are seeking a Principal Character Technical Artist who is experienced in creating and maintaining pipelines of tools for rigging, deformation and animation with the goal of creating memorable characters and performances that players will love.
The salary range for this position is $159,641 to $262,000. This range represents the salary for the position commensurate with experience, knowledge, and demonstrated success in the field.
Location(s) and Travel
Our Incubation Team is excited to welcome new remote team members*, with expected online collaboration hours from 10am – 4pm PST. Our goal is to grow a healthy team where we get to know each other in person, so travel to offsite locations for collaborative sessions can be expected at least a couple of times per year, and at most once per quarter.
*This role is available in all US states except NY, DE, HI
WHO YOU ARE:
- You are passionate and experienced in creating competitive multiplayer games.
- You have expert-level experience in being a Character-focused Technical Artist
- You are great at working hands-on with character rigging, skinning, kinematics, topology, deformations, muscle, hair, cloth, physics and all other character technical workflows
- You can look at an asset and quickly establish what the issues are and how to address them
- You keep the full picture in mind and take pride in your tools and contributions working well with other teams
- You are well organized, work effectively with project planners, and dependably deliver tasks on time
- You know what “cool” and “exciting” look like and strive to rig assets and create tools that will set our game apart from others.
- You can work with complete autonomy but find it deeply satisfying to collaborate with internal or external team members and clients
- You are proactive and curious about learning what is state of the art technology for your craft
- You are a positive, proactive problem solver that leads by example and contributes to our team culture
- You are fiercely passionate about games, what they mean to our players, and believe art should serve the broader player experience above pure aesthetic goals
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Setup Character Art pipelines and write tools to support them
- Collaborate with content creation teams to establish best-practice workflows to ensure assets will perform properly in engine
- Skin and rig characters, weapons, vehicles and props that will efficiently run in real-time
- Work closely with Engineering, Game Design, Character and World Art to ensure your contributions align with overall gameplay goals and help create the best project possible
- Collaborate with modeling teams to create best-practice workflow documentation
- Provide exceptionally consistent, reliable, and outstanding feedback to internal and external team members
- Balance creativity and time management to deliver high quality results within deadlines
- Playtest every day and give feedback, even on non-art related work
- 12+ years industry experience working on character technical art for video games
- Experience working with Python or Pymel and have used it to help create large impactful tools for artists, riggers, or animators.
- Experience working with one or more industry-standard engines such as Unreal
- Adaptability to the latest technology in your discipline to aid in your craft
- A portfolio showing relevant examples of your work
- Have shipped at least 2 AAA video games
- C++ or C# Experience
- Experience working with external vendors
- Experience working with Unreal and it’s Visual Scripting language “Blueprints”
- Incubation experience
- Competitive multiplayer experience
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU:
- A people-centric culture founded on respect, trust, approachability, and accountability.
- A stable home that values your potential, deeply cares about your work-life balance, and is committed to investing in your craft and long-term career.
- We offer a competitive benefits package, including sign-on bonus, annual stock option grants; health coverage (medical, dental, vision) paid at 100% for the employee and subsidized by the Company for dependents; Flexible Spending Account eligibility; life, accidental death, and disability insurance coverage; annual 401K contribution by the Company; Employee Assistance Program; and extensive paid time off plus holiday closures.
ProbablyMonsters is an independent video game company that aims to change the way games are made and inspire a better industry for all. Our mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to redefine what it means to create exceptional games. We secured the largest Series A raise in gaming history at $250 million, providing our teams the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, life-long careers while delivering industry-defining games within a healthy, rewarding culture.