Vice President, Legal
About ProbablyMonsters™ Family of Studios
ProbablyMonsters Family of Studios is developing 3 simultaneous AAA games in multiple genres. Since our launch in 2019, we have built 3 teams . Firewalk™ is working on a new multiplayer game to be exclusively published by PlayStation. Cauldron™ is developing a single-player, adventure-driven game and our RPG Team has a next-gen open-world experience in progress.
We recently announced the largest Series A raise in game development history at $200 MILLION to continue building long-lasting game studios. We are committed to providing our teams with the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers. Our Monster mindset of people-first, our ethos of predictable excellence, and our purpose of inspiring a healthier industry has attracted 230 like-minded professionals who unapologetically defend the sustainable home we have built together.
We are looking for a Vice President, Legal to join our team. As head of our legal department, you will grow and develop the in-house legal function to support our family of studios. You’ll develop strategies that protect and support our business, employees, and products, partnering closely with internal teams across the organization to find solutions that balance business opportunity with legal risk. As our business grows, you’ll scale and evolve the legal team to provide exceptional service and practical guidance in support of our ambitious goals.
Who You Are:
- You are passionate about providing in-house legal support that moves at the speed of business and champions business goals.
- You excel at synthesizing information to provide understandable and actionable legal guidance tailored to your audience.
- You are willing to “roll up your sleeves” to drive both strategy and tactical execution of legal programs.
- You are at home with ambiguity and skillfully drive complex projects in the face of imperfect information.
- You are biased toward rational and practical risk assessments that focus on the areas of biggest risk and opportunity for the business.
- You have a client-centric, solution-oriented mindset. Humility and service are core values for you, and you measure your own success by your effectiveness in helping others succeed.
What You Will Do:
- Set the strategy, scope, and day-to-day responsibilities for the legal function in partnership with senior leadership and legal team members.
- Anticipate and identify potential legal issues associated with strategic initiatives and counsel internal clients toward practical risk mitigation solutions.
- Set direction for the legal team’s highest and best use, determining which functions are in-house or outsourced with operational efficiency, exceptional service, and subject matter expertise in mind.
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of commercial, licensing, and intellectual property agreements.
- Manage a global trademark portfolio and develop the IP protection and enforcement program.
- Manage clearance of in-game and promotional content for compliance with intellectual property and other laws.
- Advise on employment matters and lead employment law compliance efforts.
- Provide product counseling and advise on issues related to consumer protection in games.
- Oversee corporate formation and corporate governance matters.
- Oversee the legal work related to data privacy protection and privacy program development.
- Manage, mentor, and develop legal team members in support of their career growth and personal development goals.
- 10 years’ experience as a practicing attorney.
- 5 years’ experience as in-house counsel at a B2C company in the game, entertainment, or technology industries.
- A strong background in intellectual property, data protection and privacy, or product counseling.
- Impeccable drafting skills, exceptional judgement, and excellent communication skills.
- Proven ability to build trusted relationships at all levels within an organization, from entry level to C-suite.
- Law degree from an accredited law school.
- Active Washington state bar license or ability to register in Washington as in-house counsel within six months of hire.
- Experience with corporate transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions, or public offerings.