Clinical Fellowship for Value-Based Care Leadership
Fellowship Program Overview
Oak Street Health and the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University offer an exciting Fellowship for Value-Based Care Leadership designed for physicians interested in clinical leadership. Fellows will gain first-hand leadership experience by working closely with executive leaders on high-priority projects in core business units of our Population Health and Clinical Operation teams.
Successful completion of this 24-month program will include a sponsored Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree from the Kellogg School of Management. Upon completion, fellows will be considered for a clinical leadership position with Oak Street Health.
This program is designed to help fellows integrate medical training with advanced principles of value-based care and business concepts to enable fellows to become effective leaders in a value-based care environment. Fellows will provide patient care three days per week and will spend two days per week working with each core rotation. To round out the fellowship, fellows will gain field leadership experience serving as an interim medical director for six months at an Oak Street Health clinic.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Fellows will complete the requirements to earn an MBA in the evening and weekend program at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management, fully sponsored by Oak Street Health.
- Population Health: Fellows will build interventions to contribute to a higher quality, more cost-effective care delivery system in direct collaboration with senior leadership on our Population Health team.
- Clinical Operations: Fellows will collaborate with clinical leaders on projects centered around consistency in standard operations, promoting a high-safety practice environment, and ensuring a seamless patient experience.
- Field Leadership: Upon completion of the core curriculum and electives, fellows may serve as a leader in the field at an Oak Street Health center under the supervision of regional medical leadership. Responsibilities include opportunities to manage and motivate teams, execute local projects and initiatives, and drive operational excellence.
- Medical Director Mentorship: Fellows will work closely in regular mentorship meetings with senior clinical leaders to understand the day to day challenges and experiences of medical leadership. Fellows will also have the exclusive opportunity to connect and build relationships with Oak Street’s senior executives through multiple other fora, including biweekly lecture series.
- Recent resident/fellowship graduate, early career physician or advanced care provider in primary care seeking a career as a clinician leader.
- Board certification/eligibility in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine and/or Geriatrics; completion of ACGME-accredited residency or APP program
- Eligibility for a permanent Illinois Medical License.
- Strong desire to gain meaningful leadership experience
- Experience in or a strong interest in data analytics
- Experience in a leadership position while in residency or medical school
- The ability to multitask and handle both clinical and non-clinical responsibilities
- Self-starter willing to take initiative to align projects with the organizational mission
- A strong interest in mentorship and team-development
- A passion for providing excellent primary care
- A supportive attitude toward our patient population of older adults
- Have outstanding interpersonal communication skills
- Motivated to be a part of a fast-growing, rapidly evolving organization with significant opportunities for growth and development
- A proactive and adaptable working style - able to cover tasks as they arise
- A problem-solving orientation and eagerness to identify process gaps and implement practical solutions
- A servant leadership style with a focus on building highly effective teams
General Oak Street Provider Benefits:
- Generous compensation relative to other comparable training programs, both nationally and in Chicago
- Outpatient responsibilities only
- Full malpractice coverage
- Generous benefits, including vacation time, paid parental leave, health insurance, retirement benefits, and CME stipend
- Additional stipends for conference attendance
- Over 1750 community-focused centers across 21 states
- Small patient panels for consistency and focus
- Cloud-based electronic health record and enterprise suite
Oak Street Fellow Benefits:
- Sponsored MBA degree from Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Business
- Sponsored local and national conference attendance
- Regular exposure to executive leadership
- Longitudinal mentorship from senior clinical leaders
- Rotations through value-based care business units including Population Health and Clinical Operations
- Reduced clinical workload
Oak Street Fellow Activities
- Build and present business cases to executives
- Represent Oak Street Health at national conferences and other public events
- Participate in a longitudinal physician-specific leadership development curriculum
- Participate in regional and national Oak Street Health leadership meetings
- Develop and drive pilots from beginning to end