Clinical Fellowship for Value-Based Care Leadership
We are a rapidly growing, innovative company of community-based healthcare centers delivering higher quality health and wellness care that improves outcomes, manages medical costs, and provides an unmatched experience for adults on Medicare.
The Oak Street model integrates outstanding clinical expertise, technology, and teamwork to deliver improved care quality and cost savings. These cost savings are then reinvested into care in our communities, creating a virtuous cycle of improving community health.
We are a national organization serving over 100,000 patients and we are growing rapidly. We are a diverse team of care providers, service team members, technologists, community outreach experts, business professionals, and more -- all dedicated to our Oaky Values and motivated by our mission. We’re looking forward to getting to know you!
In partnership with the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, Oak Street Health offers an exciting two-year Fellowship for Value-Based Care Leadership that is designed for physicians interested in clinical leadership. Enlightened clinical leaders require a comprehensive knowledge of the healthcare delivery system and an understanding of business operations to make informed decisions in a value-based model of care. Fellows will gain first hand leadership experience by working closely with executive leaders on high priority projects while rotating through our core business units: Population Health, Clinical Operations, and Care Navigation. Successful completion of this 24-month program will include a sponsored Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree from the Kellogg School of Management. Upon completion, fellows will be considered for a clinical leadership position with Oak Street Health.
This program is designed to help fellows integrate medical training with advanced principles of value-based care and business concepts to be effective leaders in a value-based care environment.
Fellows will provide patient care three days a week and will spend two days a week working with each core rotation. Each rotation will last six months, providing fellows with a deep dive of Oak Street Health’s core business units. Once all core rotations are complete, fellows will have the opportunity to select a three-month elective rotation of interest (e.g., managed care operations, marketing, business intelligence, etc.). After all rotations are complete, fellows will gain field leadership experience serving as an interim medical director for three months at an Oak Street Health clinic.
Master of Business Administration (MBA): During the course of the fellowship, fellows will complete the requirements to earn an MBA in the evening and weekend program at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management fully sponsored by Oak Street Health.
Population Health: Fellows will build interventions to contribute to a higher quality, more cost-effective care delivery system in direct collaboration with senior leadership on our Population Health team.
Clinical Operations: Collaborate with clinical leaders on projects centered around consistency in standard operations, promoting a high-safety practice environment, and ensuring a seamless patient experience.
Comprehensive Care Delivery: Support care teams and patients across the patient lifecycle by creating preferred networks, building relationships with key external partners, and internalizing appropriate services.
Elective: Upon completion of the core curriculum, fellows will have the opportunity to select a business unit of interest for a rotational experience.
Field Leadership: Upon completion of the core curriculum and electives, fellows may serve as a leader in the field at an Oak Street Health center in the Chicagoland area under the supervision of a Senior Medical Director. Responsibilities will include opportunities to manage and motivate teams, execute local projects and initiatives, and drive operational excellence.
Mentorship & Executive Leadership Exposure
Over the course of the learning experience, fellows will work closely in regular mentorship meetings with a Senior Medical Director to understand the day to day challenges and experiences of medical leadership. Fellows will also have the exclusive opportunity to connect and build relationships with Oak Street’s C-suite through a biweekly lecture series featuring sessions with senior executives such as the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operations Officer.
Oak Street Health offers our fellows advantages that simply can't be found in other traditional programs, including:
General Oak Street Provider Benefits:
- Generous compensation relative to other training programs in Chicago
- Outpatient responsibilities only
- Full malpractice coverage
- Generous benefits, including vacation time, health insurance, retirement benefits, and C.M.E. stipend
- Additional stipends for conference attendance
- Over 120 community-focused centers
- Small patient panels for consistency and focus
- Cloud-based electronic health record and enterprise suite
- Innumerable support resources to help you provide outstanding care
Oak Street Fellow Benefits:
- Sponsored MBA degree from Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Business
- Sponsored local and national conferences
- Regular exposure to executive leadership
- Longitudinal mentorship from a Senior Medical Director
- Rotations through value-based care business units including Population Health and Care Navigation
- Reduced clinical workload
Oak Street Fellow Activities
- Flexibility to choose an elective on a topic of interest (e.g., managed care operations, marketing, business intelligence, etc.)
- Develop advanced proficiency in analyzing data (e.g., Excel), with options for formal training
- Build and present business cases to executives
- Represent Oak Street Health at national conferences and other public events
- Participate in a longitudinal physician specific leadership development curriculum
- Participate in regional and national Oak Street Health leadership meetings
- Develop and drive pilots from beginning to end
Why does Oak Street Health offer all of these benefits? Because we know what it takes to deliver the highest level of care, and our care teams deserve the best resources to succeed and enjoy their work.
Ideal fellowship candidates will:
- Have a strong desire to gain meaningful leadership experience
- Have experience in or a strong interest in data analytics
- Have held a leadership position while in residency or medical school
- Have the ability to multitask and handle both clinical and non-clinical responsibilities
- Be self starters who are willing to take initiative to align projects with the organizational mission
- A strong interest for mentorship and team-development
- A passion for providing excellent primary care
- A supportive attitude toward our patient population of older adults
- Have outstanding interpersonal communication skills
- Be motivated to be a part of a fast growing, rapidly evolving organization with significant opportunities for growth and development
- A proactive and adaptable working style - able to cover tasks as they arise
- A problem-solving orientation and eagerness to identify process gaps and implement practical solutions
- A servant leadership style with a focus on building highly effective teams
- Have board certification/eligibility in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine