Senior Software Engineer
Backend Development Recife, Brazil
Liferay, Inc. is a uniquely profitable B2B enterprise software company with 1,200+ fiery-eyed employees all across Europe, the Americas, the Middle East, Asia, and Africa. As a renowned provider of enterprise open source technologies, we have been recognized by Gartner for empowering businesses around the world to solve complex digital challenges. Liferay Experience Cloud is an all-in-one solution that unites our Liferay DXP and cloud platform capabilities with built-in analytics and B2B commerce functionality, reducing the time to market and allowing for accelerated innovation - serving notable customers across the globe such as Airbus, US Bank, Honda, and Desjardins.
But we don’t just make awesome software, we are also fueled by a greater-than-profit vision. By building a vibrant business, making technology useful, and investing in communities, we make it possible for people to reach their full potential to serve others. We give our employees five days off to volunteer at charities they’re excited about, and Liferay donates 10% of our profits to charities around the world. Oh, we’re also self-funded which gives us the freedom to work on whatever we think brings the most value to customers and communities in the long run!
About the position
Liferay is looking for a Backend Software Engineer to join its international Application Security Team. The team focuses on delivering “standard” driven features for authentication, authorization, accounting (auditing), etc. in a mature platform for on premises and Cloud based environments also just like for SaaS services. No need to say, with full of challenges in an innovative, agile team.
- Designing, implementing, testing and documenting new security features and frameworks, typically for complex features and applications for the Liferay Platform that are used by thousands of developers and end users around the world.
- Implementing security "standards" and specifications to facilitate secure and useful ways the Liferay platform can be integrated with arbitrary 3rd party systems.
- Improving security measures of Liferay DXP platform and implementing new protections against emerging security threats.
- Writing high quality and maintainable code. Keeping technical debt under control.
- Participating in peer review processes. Manage improvements and be humble enough to allow other suggestions. Everyone learns from everyone, no matter how brilliant you are.
- Comprehending the more nuanced aspects of Software Development and how they help solve complex scenarios. Is aware of important particularities of different programming languages, their pitfalls and the impact those have in things like performance and security. Uses all this to design and deliver scalable, secure and robust applications.
- Is able to learn and become proficient in any programming skills necessary for their tasks.
- Is able to optimize code for speed/memory depending on the requirements, and develop basic architecture.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant libraries and tools.
- Communicating and collaborating with multinational teams including but not limited to Product Engineering, QA, Release Engineering, Product Management, DevSecOps and Information Security to implement and deliver the shared vision.
- Working in a long-term software product. Building strong foundations, delivering the minimum viable solution and iterating to achieve the best possible solutions for multiple business domains.
- Working on a platform that
- runs in Cloud also as a Software as a Service (SaaS),
- is evolving to support Headless and B2B services and
- works as a standalone product that can integrate several systems and the date behind them for enterprises.
- Working in an open source distributed company with strong ethical values, sharp vision, in an international environment.
- Being a vocational Java programmer, a coder, an engineer and you’re proud of that.
- Being a self-starter, quick learner, self-motivated, proactive beyond your duty.
- Being a good team player. You’ll be part of the Liferay family and this is important for us.
- Excellent attention to detail. Seriously, more than that.
- Experience with software engineering best practices like version control, unit testing, etc.
- Being proficient with Git (or any other DVCS) and related branching patterns: git-flow, pull-requests, rebases, etc.
- Being fully comfortable working in English, both written and spoken.
- Degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent real hands-on experience in backend programming in a professional environment.
- Knowledgeable web technologies with respect to Java.
- Is able to understand, share and explain the adopted best practices and why they are important. Helps drive changes in the existing guidelines to improve the best practices.
- Is able to guide less experienced team members on well-defined technical problems from design to implementation.
- Mentoring less experienced team members;
- Reside or be willing to move to Recife.
- Passionate in security topics.
- Understanding and sharing the values of agile development. No matter what fancy tools or words you know, agile is about core values.
- Experience with Java Servlets, OSGi, gradle.
- Knowledge of OWASP methodology and web security concepts.
- Flexibility to adjust work hours to time-zone limitations of your teammates.
What We Offer
- Salary package w/ competitive benefits according to qualifications and experience
- Opportunities to take responsibility, grow professionally, and Stay Nerdy
- A positive and collaborative work culture
- Check out what employees say about us on Glassdoor
- Working at a leading open-source company
Equal Opportunities Employer - Statement
Liferay is committed to the equal treatment of all candidates, customers and employees and to fostering a culture of dignity at work. Our operating procedure provides for equal opportunities in recruitment and employment with the aim to eliminate discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the basis of race, age, sexual orientation, gender, religion or beliefs, marital or civil partnerships status, family or dependency status, disability, pregnancy and maternity or membership of a traveling community.