Senior Accountant, Canadian Operations
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT, CANADIAN OPERATIONS
The Senior Accountant, Canadian Operations is a designated accountant with significant experience in the areas of operational accounting, financial reporting, internal controls and financial analysis for management decision making.
This role is a key contributor to the monthly and annual reporting process, assisting management to ensure that Canadian Divisional results are in accordance with Kal Tire accounting policies and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). Throughout the month the position works closely with Divisional management to ensure the integrity of financial data and provides a high level of customer service on ad-hoc projects. The Senior Accountant, Canadian Operations has in-depth knowledge of Kal Tire’s financial business practices, processes and systems and is considered a subject matter expert in these areas.
Accounting and Financial Reporting
• Prepare or review branch-level, divisional and legal entity financial statements.
• Undertake analysis and resolution of more complex/non-routine accounting issues.
• Review account reconciliations prepared by other team members.
• Maintain current knowledge of regulatory changes and impacts on the organization’s books of account.
• Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation for any accounting entries.
• Ensures compliance with established internal controls, identifies gaps and proposes solutions, as required.
Finance Business Process and System Improvements
• Seeks opportunities to automate or streamline business processes and collaborates with other business units to improve business processes.
• Works with Information Systems stakeholders, researches and analyses potential solutions to business needs and performs fit-gap assessment of solutions to business needs.
• Maps “as is” and “to be” business processes using industry standard tools such as process maps, flow charts, use cases, etc.
Financial Performance Analysis for Management Decision Making
• Understands Kal Tire’s business from a Finance perspective.
• Collaborates with all levels of Management to understand what information is needed for business decision-making.
• Analyzes data and summarizes findings in a manner that clearly identifies key business performance issues, facilitating efficient and effective management decision making.
• Participates in the planning and execution of projects that impact Accounting.
• Provides mentorship to team members.
• Assists others in the performance of their duties as required.
• May assist in the recruiting, hiring and training of corporate accounting team members.
• 5+ years of experience in financial accounting.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
• Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures.
• Advanced working knowledge of Excel.
• Experience with full-feature accounting systems.
• Experience with developing Power BI dashboards would be a plus.
• CPA designation is required.
• Supervisory experience - The position does not involve formal direct reports. The candidate may be responsible for the informal oversight of junior and intermediate accountants, from time to time.