Director Retail Products
Under the guidance of the Senior Vice President – Wholesale and Supply, the Director Retail Products is responsible for providing the company-owned and associate stores with a selection of competitively priced retail products, as good as or better than anything available in the industry. They are responsible for overseeing all aspects related to Passenger, Light Truck, Custom Wheels and Mechanical purchasing and program development in order to effectively and profitably support Kal Tire’s store network across Canada. The Director Retail Products will build positive relationships with major suppliers in the best interests of the company and will participate in Retail and LDF sales and marketing efforts from strategy to tactical implementation.
KEY COMPONENTS OF THE ROLE INCLUDE
- Negotiate annual programs for all Retail product lines including Wheels and Mechanical.
- Determine appropriate store costs and retail pricing levels to ensure competitiveness and to provide satisfactory profit levels at the warehouses and stores.
- Build the product screen to offer value within a Good-Better-Best format.
- Create programs that move product through the warehouse system to the stores and work in collaboration with the marketing group to develop promotions that will increase sales activity in the stores.
- Work with Marketing to develop supplier funded specials and other forms of support for store growth initiatives.
- Work with the Purchasing Administration Manager to ensure that pricing, rebates, national account credits, etc. are processed correctly.
- Build long-term relationships with suppliers based on trust and understanding of their objectives.
- Communicate Kal Tire’s values to suppliers.
- Be aware of supply options and source new products as required.
- Balance time with each supplier based on business opportunity.
- Hold suppliers accountable on commitments.
- Develop and protect exclusive distribution opportunities.
- Develop short and long-term procurement strategies with a focus on identifying and implementing best practices and maximizing overall returns.
- Negotiate with manufacturers to ensure Kal Tire has the best pricing and takes advantage of all possible programs to enhance profitability and competitiveness.
- Provide constructive feedback to the Senior Vice President, Wholesale and Supply regarding the level of customer satisfaction with products and pricing.
- Maintain awareness of competitor overall business practices, pricing and market strategies.
- Attend key dealer conferences, network with other dealers and gain influence with key suppliers
- Establish multi-level contact with primary suppliers
- Continually optimize the balance between maximizing profits and maintaining competitiveness
- Resolve vendor issues when they arise through a facilitation process.
- Establish and maintain positive and effective relationships with supplier personnel in accordance with AIM #6.
Store Sales Support
- Ensure that manufacturer representatives are supporting store sales efforts.
- Get involved in specific deals with large customers if required to win the business.
- Spend time in the field to understand the opportunities and challenges of various markets across Canada. Explain the status of purchasing programs and resolve issues with respect to “bottle necks” in the procurement process.
- Maintain regular communication throughout the organization on supply risks, trends and opportunities.
- Ensure store teams have the right product and promotional information communicated to them in a timely and effective manner.
- Stay current with technical changes and trends in the industry.
- Work to identify new products and opportunities in the industry.
- Participate in the store retail and commercial strategies.
Leadership and Budgeting
- Along with the Directors of the purchasing department, provide ongoing leadership to buyers in the hiring, training and development, promotion, discipline and performance evaluation of staff within the department.
- Manage departmental expenditures and assist in the preparation of departmental budget for inclusion in the corporate budget.
Product Management Team Leadership
- Lead team and monitor performance of Retail product management team
- Hire, train, coach and provide opportunities for career development.
- Lead team with project planning, setting goals and meeting deadlines.
- Work collaboratively with the Replenishment Buying teams to ensure adequate levels of inventory. Balance inventory turn objectives with other considerations.
- Stay attuned and properly anticipate upcoming price increases and potential supply constraints.
- Provide regular and proactive contact with purchasing staff to provide support, technical guidance, coaching and leadership.
- Ensure forecasts are set and adjusted in order to reach inventory turn ratio targets.
- Conduct regular product line reviews with the buyers.
- Plan product line replacements in a way that minimizes discounting.
- Be creative in finding ways to deal with excess and obsolete inventory.
- Collaborate with Replenishment teams on reviewing fill rates stock levels as needed.
- Work with supply chain to manage lead time and inbound freight costs.
- At least of 8 years experience in purchasing, supply chain, sales and/or marketing roles.
- Exposure to the retail tire industry or a similar highly customer-service driven environment.
- Expert knowledge of tires and their application in various situations, preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Effective project management skills which includes developing project plans and achieving key milestones, despite competing demands.
- A track record developing product management programs that achieve desired goals and metrics.
- Ability to influence managers across the organization without direct authority.
- Knowledge of Supply Chain and POS systems.
- Ability to prepare and present reports suitable for board room discussion.
- Good working knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- An undergraduate diploma or degree in a related advertising, marketing or business discipline.
Kal Tire is Canada’s largest independent tire dealer and tire services provider and a global leader in mining tire services. With over 250 stores, four warehouses and 10 retread plants in Canada, and servicing more than 150 mine sites across five continents, Kal Tire is a truly global company. Kal Tire’s more than 6,500 team members intently focus on providing customers with trustworthy advice, great products and excellent service.
Our Vernon Office is located on the shores of the beautiful Kalamalka Lake, nestled amongst the foothills of the Monashee mountain ranges. Vernon is the commercial hub of the North Okanagan, a growing city of over 40,000 people with a central location and convenient access to an International airport. The area provides the opportunity to live and work in a vibrant community that offers wold class ski resorts, championship golf courses, mountain biking trails, popular recreational lakes and the vineyards of the Okanagan Valley. Kal Tire is the ideal place to have a career, while enjoying a truly balanced lifestyle.