Director, Alliance Management
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin is seeking a Director, Alliance Management to lead BioMarin’s strategic partnerships. The role will report to Brinda Balakrishnan, Group Vice President of Business and Corporate Development.
You will lead a team responsible for managing our strategic alliances and ensure we are optimizing the value created with our current and future partners. This role serves as the main point of contact with our strategic alliance partners and works with the BioMarin leadership team to define and realize the objectives of our alliances.
The new hire will gain exposure with cross functional groups (e.g. research, clinical development, regulatory, legal/IP, finance, and commercial) around the globe both within BioMarin and with our external partners.
- Support and oversee internal and external facing project teams to execute on the obligations of strategic alliance agreements and allow for proactive decision making
- Create additional value within alliances, facilitate the creation of mutual trust with partners, and proactively manage collaboration risks
- Communicate partner updates and proactively identify potential risks to senior leadership in an effective way
- Manage and execute governance committee meetings with strategic partners
- Develop scalable processes with cross functional working team to effectively manage the tracking of contractual obligations
- Understand partner interests and work to align incentives between organizations
- Lead contract negotiations with existing partners
- Provide input into partnership execution terms of new partner contracts
- Coach and guide internal cross functional alliance team members in effective collaboration best practices
- Establish how BioMarin is perceived by current and future strategic partners
- Lead Alliance Managers as they manage contractual obligations and advise them on best practices
- 8+ years of relevant experience required
- Past experience in healthcare required
- Deal Sheet required
- MBA or other relevant advanced degree preferred
- Demonstrated ability to successfully oversee cross functional teams
- Excellent leadership/influencing skills are required to manage internal and external stakeholders (e.g. Research, Clinical Development, Commercial, Finance, Legal/IP, etc.)
- Experience presenting and delivering recommendations to senior leadership teams both orally and written
- Strong EQ combined with scientific/technical acumen
- Robust understanding of the full drug development process, life-cycle management and commercialization of therapeutics (rare disease preferred)
- Strategic thinker and creative problem solver
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize projects to meet strategic business objectives
- Travel requirements: Occasional travel as required
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.