Emergency Veterinarian - PETS Emergency Hospital
PETS Emergency Hospital (PEH) in Evans, Colorado is looking for a 1/2 to full-time Emergency Veterinarian long-term and full-time for June - September. We are an AAHA Accredited, 24/7/365, Level II VECCS Certified Facility. We pride ourselves on providing the Greeley area and Weld County communities and veterinarians with compassionate and quality emergency, urgent, and critical care and have been doing so since 2001. While we have close relationships with the plethora of specialist in the Front Range area, we do not have any in-house. We do use telemedicine for radiology and cytology diagnoses by boarded radiologists and pathologists, and we intermittently use mobile surgeons and radiologists in hospital.
We have an excellent team who all work together very well and without egos or gossip. We’re big enough to provide cutting-edge medicine with new technology, equipment, and training and small enough to give owners and patients personalized care. The management staff works hard to ensure that all employees are happy in their positions as well as working towards their individual, long-term goals. We consider ourselves to be a ‘teaching facility’ and host veterinary and technician interns, externs, and volunteers throughout the year.
We have day and overnight DVM shifts with reasonable to good schedule flexibility. All full-time DVMs work both day and overnights shifts as preferred. One DVM on shift at a time, but we have an intern DVM during busier shift periods and experienced, efficient technician staff. Most PEH staff DVMs also work shifts at our sister-hospital, Fort Collins Veterinary Emergency and Rehabilitation Hospital (VERH) (a 30 min drive from PEH), and both hospital staffs work well to cover shifts for time off.
Competitive wages, generous pet discount, paid licenses and memberships (AVMA, PLIT, VECCS, VIN) and generous CE allowance via a discretionary fund, paid time off, health, dental, vision, life insurance, and 401k are all part of the benefits of full-time.
We welcome those who are interested in growing and sharing their knowledge base. Ideal candidates will have a strong work ethic, be self-motivated and positive. The ability to multitask efficiently in a fast-paced environment while still being a team player is essential.
See www.petsemergencyhospital.com for more information on our hospital.
Veterinarian Requirements and Qualifications
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent degree with current license.
- 1 year experience working in an emergency or urgent care setting or general practice with emergency focus; comfortable with cases common to the emergency environment to include emergency procedures (thoracocentesis, abdominocentesis, pericardiocentesis, blood and plasma administration) and surgery management (GDV, gastrotomy, enterotomy, intestine reattachment and anastomosis, splenectomy, c-section, cystotomy, enucleation, amputations, lacerations, etc.) and critical anesthesia
- Familiarity with endoscopy and ultrasound preferred
- Knowledge of all veterinary best practices and a desire to advance self and the profession
- Excellent communication skills to build rapport and communicate complex disease processes and recommended treatment plans with clients, staff, and referring veterinary offices
- Problem solving capabilities with a willingness to tackle unique challenges
- Ability to manage time, prioritize, and thrive in an oftentimes fast-paced and high-pressure environment
- Strong leadership skills