Mattamy Homes (Canada)
Senior Foundation Builder
Who We Are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across the United States and Canada. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area, as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
What We Offer
As the Foundation Builder, you will oversee the timely construction of foundations, with overall responsibility for accuracy and quality of construction in the foundation stage all to provide The Best Homeowner Experience. During the construction process, you are responsible for grading and sodding and attending to various site components such as exterior drains and water services (including water boxes). You will also manage activities of contractors, suppliers, inspectors, and other participants in each home’s foundation, grading and sodding program and supervise the exterior labour force including maintaining an aesthetically appealing and safe worksite, including lots and roadways.
- Manages construction of foundations, lot grading and sodding for assigned homes on a timely basis, in compliance with the Production Schedule, building codes, ANHWP standards, Design Centre changes and Mattamy standards.
- Attends regular staff meetings and is prepared to discuss safety, quality, production timelines, costs and other issues as determined by direct supervisor.
- Prepares and supervises Production Schedules for surveyor, excavation, footings, foundation walls and backfills with appropriate trades, inspectors and suppliers.
- Maintains awareness of special or extraordinary soil conditions, for example base conditions or substandard compressive strength of soil, on certain lots and takes appropriate action in the construction of the foundation. Liaises with Land Development Department on unforeseen soil conditions. Measures all claims for extra concrete with contractor prior to backfill.
- Reviews all lot specific / customer changes and implements relevant extras into foundations per company policy and procedures.
- Ensures protection of all catch basins, water boxes and valves, hydrants and utility vaults prior to excavation. Coordinates sewer/water excavation and backfill and ensures proper demarcation of water boxes. Ensure frost protection is in place during winter months.
- Monitors quality of excavation, footings and foundation walls on regular basis and takes corrective action as necessary.
- Coordinates grading of lots with contractors, in accordance with approved grading plan including balance fills on lots (when possible) prior to framing, cutting of driveway, filling garages and rough grading for topsoil.
- Schedules and attends all inspections with municipal inspectors and soil engineers. Assists as appropriate during inspection and rectifies issues as required. Conducts final site inspections with appropriate agencies.
- Coordinates timely installation of curbs and sidewalks prior to sodding & grading program (will require contact with Land, co-developer or external sub-divider for “purchased lots”). Coordinates and supervises topsoil and sodding of project with special attention given to ensure that all water box valve stems are visible and fully operational once sod is laid.
- Responsible for year-round road cleaning and general lot and site cleanliness.
- Responsible to meet schedule for paving of driveways.
What You Bring
- Post-secondary education / college diploma in related field (e.g. Construction Management / Construction Engineering Technology) or suitable combination of education and relevant industry experience
- Experience with using BuildPro would be an asset
- Must be skilled front-line coordinator with excellent organizational skills, thorough scheduling knowledge and ability to streamline schedule issues
- Several years homebuilding experiences, particularly grading
- Excellent customer service skills
- Intensely focused on delivering quality product
- Good knowledge and clear understanding of contracts, plans, and specifications, as well as construction methods, materials and regulations
- Extensive knowledge of Alberta Building Code and Health & Safety Regulations
- Well-developed ability to problem solve and resolve issues as they arise
- Self-starter who leads by example and readily assumes responsibility for results
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to successfully manage multiple tasks, varying priorities and ultimately meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required
- Skills in relationship building with established broad network of contacts including trade partners and suppliers
Health & Safety
We are doing our part to safeguard your health and taking extra steps to reduce the spread of COVID-19. All work sites and premises will allow for required physical distancing requirements, and new routines and resources such as hand sanitizer, antiseptic wipes, masks, or other protective equipment.
Vaccination is the single best protection against COVID-19 for us as individuals and our communities and is vital to maintaining our commitment to health and safety. The successful applicant will be required, as a condition of employment with Mattamy, to provide Mattamy with proof that they have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine (or combination of vaccines) authorized by Health Canada, subject to accommodations required under applicable human rights legislation.
Be Yourself. We want it that way! At Mattamy, we’re passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important aspects of the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues and communities. We offer a workplace that allows our employees to experience exciting possibilities in their career including continuous learning, opportunity for growth, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
When you’re part of the Mattamy family, your day to day work has an incredible impact. What we do takes teamwork, and everyone pulls together to give our very best. With a focus on continued growth and industry leadership, exciting career possibilities are waiting for you at Mattamy. Based on the culture we pride ourselves on, we’ve been recognized with external awards as well. Some of our most recent recognition includes:
Canada’s Best Managed Companies
Canada’s Top 100 Employers
Greater Toronto’s Top Employers
Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures
We have big plans for our business and our team. Be part of our ambitious future!
Mattamy Homes is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.