Director of Service (e-STORAGE)
Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules, and custom-designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar’s world-class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006. Canadian Solar is an equal opportunity employer.
Canadian Solar aims to power the world with solar energy and to create a cleaner Earth for future generations. Our culture and people are our most important assets and a key source of our competitive advantage. We strive to “Make the Difference” in our work by cultivating a corporate culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion and creating a lasting positive impact on society and the communities where we operate.
As a subsidiary of Canadian Solar, e-STORAGE is a leading company specializing in the design, manufacturing, and integration of battery energy storage systems (BESS) for utility-scale applications. At the core of the e-STORAGE platform is SolBank a self manufactured, lithium-iron phosphate chemistry-based battery engineered for utility-scale applications. Through our innovative solutions, we aim to optimize grid operations, promote clean energy integration, and foster a more resilient and sustainable energy landscape.
Position Title: Director of Service
Reports To:Sr. Director of Project Implementation and Operations
Location: USA, CA or Kitchner, Canada
Canadian Solar e-STORAGE is now seeking a Director of Service to lead the expanding service team globally. As the Director of Service, you will be responsible to lead the regional service teams in North America, the United Kingdom and Australia. You will also be responsible for establishing service teams as we expand into new regions. This involves liaising with external stakeholders including clients, sub-contractors, and suppliers, as well as internal stakeholders including project implementation, commercial, engineering, legal and finance teams.
Each region is responsible for completing commissioning activities and the obligations under Long Term Service Agreements (LTSA’s) for BESS projects. This will include managing the daily operation including scheduling resources to complete commissioning tasks, preventative and corrective maintenance on the Solbank, third party batteries, power conversion stations (PCS), energy management systems (EMS) and other components up to and including the HV substation where applicable. You will oversee and be responsible for Health and Safety, P&L, plant capacity and availability guarantee, warranty management and augmentations.
The individual must be comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, be hands on and be able to solve problems with varying priorities and assignments, as well as demanding timelines. Experience with renewable power generation and service management is essential. The successful candidate must be customer focused with excellent interpersonal skills and experience in a service environment.
- Ensure all personnel are trained and follow environmental, health and safety policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) to ensure sites are in accordance with contractual obligations and manufacturers requirements including achieving capacity and availability guarantees.
- Accountable for service P&L including budget, resources and CAPEX / OPEX development.
- Negotiate LTSA’s and sub-contractor service agreements with the commercial and legal teams.
- Lead a team of commissioning managers responsible for planning and executing all the commissioning activities related to the BESS projects.
- Ensure that commissioning plans are developed in accordance with contractual requirements and resourced adequately to meet project completion deadlines.
- Review, analyze and approve detailed scopes of work, procedures and maintenance plans for service team and subcontractors with emphasis on reducing downtime and improving operational efficiencies.
- Develop and implement Computer Maintenance Management System (CMMS) to track work orders, maintenance plans, spare part tracking and warranties.
- Develop and implement quality control procedures for the commissioning and service activities in collaboration with the Quality Director.
- Determine spare part and maintenance tool requirements and storage locations.
- Mentor regional teams and attend meetings to solve equipment failures and improve BESS performance with clients, sub-contractors, and suppliers.
- Analyze performance data determining root cause and performance trends.
- Oversee and review monthly reports to client and present performance metrics and KPI’s to Senior Management
- Build, develop, and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the project.
- Ensure that all business activities are performed with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with the Code of Business Conduct
- Maintain quality standards and issue corrective directives when needed.
- Complete other duties and projects as assigned.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a renewable utility scale energy service and commissioning environments that includes electrical systems, controls systems, network communication hardware, and power generation hardware.
- Minimum 5 years management experience
- Engineering (Electrical or Mechanical) or Business degree or diploma
- Knowledge of power conversion stations, SCADA, high and medium voltage power systems required, and battery energy storage system applications is an asset.
- Strong negotiation, facilitation, risk management and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally and influence positively a diverse group of executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Proven ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects, and execute in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with a strong ownership mentality.
- Must be able to travel to all regions and locations as needed.
- Ability to function successfully both independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated professional appearance and conduct.
- Work will be performed in a standard office environment, in front of a computer monitor and will involve sitting, bending, standing, walking, typing, reaching.
- Ability to work flexible hours (evenings, weekends) as required.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.