Senior Control Software Engineer
Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically-integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules and custom-designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar’s world-class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006. Canadian Solar is an equal opportunity employer.
Canadian Solar aims to power the world with solar energy and to create a cleaner Earth for future generations. Our culture and people are our most important assets and a key source of our competitive advantage. We strive to “Make the Difference” in our work by cultivating a corporate culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and creating a lasting positive impact on society and the communities where we operate.
As a subsidiary of Canadian Solar, e-STORAGE is a leading company specializing in the design, manufacturing, and integration of battery energy storage systems for utility-scale applications. At the core of the e-STORAGE platform is SolBank a self manufactured, lithium-iron phosphate chemistry-based battery engineered for utility-scale applications. Through our innovative solutions, we aim to optimize grid operations, promote clean energy integration, and foster a more resilient and sustainable energy landscape.
Position Title: Senior Control Software Engineer
Location: New Jersey, Guelph, (Remote locations will be considered)
Reports To:Senior Director of Battery Engineering
The Senior Control Software Engineer will lead the implementation of BESS capable of ultra-fast response to dispatch commands and grid supply variations. This candidate is familiar with power systems, utility generation, protection, and transmission systems, as well as modern industrial networks and utility communication protocols.
- Technical contract exhibits: Drafting and negotiating fast response BESS plant controller technical requirements.
- Managing stakeholders, utilities, and suppliers of fast response controllers for design and deliverables
- Verifying testing and commissioning of the new advanced BESS plant controllers
- Mentor team members and supervise work processes to ensure development of high-quality deliverables to meet timeline and budget commitments.
- Develop new tools, implement processes, provide feedback, and work with other stakeholders to ensure continuous improvement of the technology/engineering/ delivery value stream.
Must have domain experience in solar PV or battery energy storage the Digital-Twin software Engineer must be proficient in the following:
- Experience with power grid, power generation and/or renewable integration control.
- Experience with utility market applications.
- Experience with DigSilent PowerFactory, EMTP or other powers systems modeling tools
- Expertise in model-based control SW development
- Expertise in Git workflow
- Experience with Linux.
- Scripting (Python,Batch)
- Relationship & time series database
- Write automated tests
- Jupyter, Deepnote
- Experience with Azure and AWS cloud infrastructure
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present ideas and suggestions clearly and effectively to internal and external audience.
• A go-getter professional with a can-do attitude - setting aggressive, measurable goals and objectives for him/herself and prepared to be measured against them.
• A dynamic professional with the ability to positively interact and collaborate with a diverse group of people at all levels and disciplines and capable of standing in front of key clients, thinking on his/her feet, and making sound decisions within compressed timelines.
• Comfortable in a collaborative and fluid environment.
• An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a broad variety of issues, initiatives, and objectives concurrently.
• Discipline to be productive in an Agile environment.
• Willingness to learn and work with tools that are outside the traditional stack, such as Anvil, Deepnote, and others.
• A creative thinker: need to be able to come up with novel solutions to established. problems and evaluate their business benefit.
• Business-savvy: need to be able to interact with both business specs and technical specs.
• Travel: up to 25%, including international travel.
EDUCATIONAL and WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• Has 8+ years of experience developing control software, with a track record of successful production deployments.
• Has a degree in engineering that can relate to our industry (Electrical will be preferred)