Senior Administrative Associate External Affairs
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of External Affairs, this twelve month a year position is responsible for independently performing a wide range of complex and confidential administrative duties to support the Office of External Affairs and the Program Manager of the Public Policy Center. Communicates effectively and efficiently with a wide range of external contacts for the Senior Vice President and Program Manager as well as performs tasks that will include a high level of independent judgment and confidentiality. Assignments involve work of a confidential and/or complex nature necessitating exposure to sensitive information and contacts requiring considerable discretion, judgment, tact and diplomacy. A practical knowledge of the practices and procedures of the Office of External Affairs and of the University is required. The Senior Administrative Associate will provide reception desk coverage for the executive floor.
- Support requires transcribing notes for letters, memos and reports. Drafts letters and memos from own knowledge or from verbal instructions from Sr. Vice President. Using Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint, prepares and edits materials including, but not limited to correspondence, reports and memoranda utilizing rough drafts.
- Schedules appointments and manages the Sr. Vice President’s full calendar of internal and external meetings and events. Anticipates and resolves any issues with respect to the Sr. Vice President’s schedule. Schedules meetings, prepares daily briefing, coordinates all logistics and collects background information with respect to calls/meetings. May also set agenda with Sr. Vice President’s approval.
- Answers telephone calls for the Sr. Vice President and Program Manager. Tactfully handles inquiries and/or refers caller to the appropriate department. Follows up with department to assure that call has been handled expeditiously. Many calls are from students, prospective students, faculty and staff who request information regarding scheduling, admissions and program offerings. Serves as "gatekeeper" for external meeting requests and correspondence.
- Reviews mail and inquiries on own initiative and determines within established guidelines if mail should be forwarded to the Sr. Vice President or Program Manager or to others within the department or the University for action. Follows up to make sure that appropriate action has been taken.
- Maintains sensitive files and records.
- Makes travel arrangements for the Sr. Vice President in accordance with University travel guidelines and process. Completes and submits travel and expense reimbursement forms to University Business Office.
- Performs research on individuals and/or organizations as needed by the Sr. Vice President and Program Manager in preparation for meetings and/or events.
- Provide administrative support to the SURF Committee
- Set up and send out Zoom Meetings to Committee Members as requested, host and attend Zoom Meetings
- Get approvals as necessary for budget expenses through the President’s Office
- Send out Survey’s to SURF Members as requested.
- Maintain SURF Directory in an excel Master List
- Maintain master directory as SURF members retire including confirming with Human Resources who have opted out of the directory and validation of contact information.
- Maintain a separate directory for those who wish not to be published in the main Directory that gets sent out to SURF members.
- Distribute Directory to SURF members annually after updating and publishing, both email and physical copies.
- Events: Provide support, help plan, and attend SURF’s Events
- Manage SURF’s Constant Contact Account and assist with event planning. Typically includes 3-4 events per year including the President’s Reception and Founders Day events.
- Duties for Events Include but are not limited to:
- Create an invitation for events, help plan, and send invitations out to all SURF members via email on Constant Contact as well as a physical mailing for those who do not have email addresses.
- Keep track of RSVPs for events (Cognito Forms) and update SURF leadership regularly on RSVP count and names.
- Send out event reminders and appropriate information related to the event.
- Coordinate with the University on event logistics such as parking and day of event security.
- Provide final headcount to SURF committee for food and beverage ordering
- Create nametags for event and collect at the end
- Attend event, work the registration table and check members in
- Provide information and print outs of how to get a Suffolk ID, Suffolk E-Mail Address, and how to opt in to the Directory.
- After event: collect any forms filled out and submit Suffolk E-Mail address requests to both HR and IT and follow up.
- Performs other related activities as required.
- Minimum five years of professional experience in increasingly responsible administrative positions.
- Demonstrated intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
- Prior experience with complex calendar management.
- College degree preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively with a variety of constituents.
- Excellent organization skills including the ability to handle several projects simultaneously and meet frequent deadlines.
- Demonstrated initiative, excellent judgment and ability to work without immediate supervision.
- Demonstrated interest in Government and Community Affairs is preferred.
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment. Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.