Graduate Admission Counselor
Responsible for meeting enrollment targets for a portfolio of programs within the College of Arts and Science (CAS) and Sawyer Business School (SBS) in addition to supporting the overall enrollment targets for graduate admission. Emphasis will be placed on increasing awareness of Suffolk as a leader in graduate education, and increasing inquiries, applications, and enrollments of high-quality students through strategic initiatives and superior customer service.
65% of Time
Outcome: maximize opportunities attract and recruit prospective students.
Represent the CAS and SBS graduate programs at local, national and international recruitment events to identify and attract best-fit candidates for Suffolk University. Advise prospective students on application process. Identifies opportunities to present to audiences through professional organizations, networking groups and college and universities events.
Meet with faculty program directors of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Sawyer Business School routinely to discuss plans for recruitment and brainstorm ideas. Discuss networking opportunities and facilitate those connections. Goal of building and maintaining relationships with faculty program directors to leverage their expertise to successfully recruit prospective students.
Ensure data on recruitment efforts and status of applications in the pipeline or queue is complete and to inform the success of recruitment efforts in converting prospective students to applicants.
25% of Time
Outcome: Ensure the pipeline of prospective student applications is reviewed for status in the process. Goal of conversion from application to enrollment. This requires follow up via email and phone.
Ensure all applications are reviewed based on established criteria for each program. Responsible for the timely and accurate evaluation of graduate program applicants. Using a digital-based application system will ensure applications are complete, assigning a rank based on established criteria for special financial aid merit programs, code applications with a preliminary decision which is routed to Director of Graduate Admission for final review.
10% of Time
Will perform other work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Sales or marketing experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a diverse work environment
- Strong time management and ability to meet strict, frequent deadlines
- Strong computer proficiency including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel
- Ability to engage and network with prospective applicants including the ability to represent the University professionally, express the value of attending Suffolk and to ‘sell’ a vision
- Strong creativity and innovation; willingness to try new approaches to achieve desired objectives
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to write a wide variety of concise, engaging and professional material directed to a wide variety of internal and external audiences
- Must be 18 years old, have at least two years of driving experience and have a valid driver’s license from the U.S. or U.S. Territories; must submit to an annual driver record check and maintain an acceptable driving record per university and/or insurance carrier requirements; must complete the University driver safety training within 60 days of hire and additional driver training as needed.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, including having a valid passport
- Ability working nights and weekends as required for recruiting events
- Required Application Documents: Cover Letter and Resume
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment. Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.