Date Revised: October 7, 2019
Practice: Information & Media
Position Title: Program Manager
Reports To: HQ Technical Adviser
Location: Riga, Latvia
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks a qualified Program Manager to lead implementation of the Media Literacy in the Baltics Program. In partnership with local universities, the program will support future media professionals to provide audiences with quality journalism and heightened awareness of disinformation. The program will also adapt IREX’s Learn to Discern (L2D) approach to media literacy for citizens which employs a hands-on training methodology to build critical information consumption skills, so that people are better able to identify manipulation, distinguish disinformation from facts, and engage with and responsibly share content across various forms of media.
The Program Manager will be based in Riga and will provide leadership and oversight of in-country activities in Latvia as well as leadership and support to the work of Project staff embedded at partner universities in Lithuania and Estonia. The Program Manager will oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget. The Program Manager will work closely with IREX staff in Washington DC.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program
- Serve as the principal liaison with local university partners in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, as well as with private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget
- Oversee and monitor university engagement and curriculum coursework development
- Oversee and monitor adaptation of curriculum and rollout of trainings for citizens
- Manage collaboration with universities on curriculum development, elective courses, extracurricular seminars, and L2D trainings (including for high school students)
- Oversee project budgeting and financial management
- Maintain compliance with donor and IREX policies and regulations
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities
- Contribute to IREX’s information literacy learning priorities
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s Washington DC office
- Represent IREX publicly and support its organizational development
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 5 years of experience working in journalism, media sector strengthening and reform, civic engagement, media or information literacy, or related fields, with experience working in the Baltics strongly preferred
- Substantial experience in journalism training, higher education, and academic curriculum development
- Substantial experience in facilitation and training methodology and citizen training curriculum development
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing donor-funded projects, with strong preference for past media development or media literacy project management experience
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials; universities and high schools, media, civil society, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders
- Strong understanding of the political, economic, and media landscape—including both production and consumption--in the Baltics preferred
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English, Latvian, and Russian
IREX conducts anti- terrorism database clearances on candidates who accept employment offers. IREX is also an E-Verify Employer.
IREX is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and inclusive hiring practice. IREX is an equal opportunity employer.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE