Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning Officer, Mandela Washington Fellowship
Who We are
At IREX we strive for a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world—where individuals research their full potential, governments serve their people and communities thrive.
But around the globe, persistent poverty, repression, and injustice prevent too many people form achieving their full potential. To address these problems, we focus on people, not on vaccines, roads, or wells. We support individuals and institutions to create change in their own communities—and to create persons-to person bridges between nations.
IREX works with partners in more than 100 countries in four areas essential to progress: cultivating leaders, empowering youth, strengthening institutions, and increasing access to quality education and information.
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer will join the Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young Africa Leaders, the flagship program of the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), to support coordinated monitoring and evaluation for the program. The MEL Officer will oversee data collection and analysis, and will develop reports and data visualizations that communicate impact and progress toward programmatic goals to a range of internal and external stakeholders. The position will also collaborate with colleagues in IREX’s Center for Applied Learning and Impact (CALI) to enhance knowledge sharing and identify best practices and learning throughout the organization.
We are doers. Our decades of on-the-ground experience help us create greater impact, practical recommendations, and lasting partnerships.
Are you the next member of our team?
Your Background & Skills
- Strong analytical skills and experience with statistical analysis required
- High-level proficiency in Excel required, including use of pivot tables, formulas, and charts
- Experience working in and/or interest in developing capacity for qualitative analysis tools including Dedoose, NVivo, or similar
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically and creatively to meet specified objectives with strong ability to anticipate challenges and generate solutions
- Professionalism in written correspondence and report writing, excellent presentation and oral communication skills, and professionalism in senior level client or partner relations
- Strong proven writing and document proofing skills; able to produce near-final quality communications and documents
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, including the ability to prioritize
- Experience working in and/or interest in developing capacity for project systems including Salesforce, SurveyGizmo, Survey Monkey, Mailchimp, Canvas, or similar
- Experience working in and/or interest in developing capacity for data visualization tools, such as Power BI, Tableau, Google Data Studio, or similar
- Demonstrated capability to work independently and as a team member to consistently take initiative, meet deadlines within strict time constraints, and maintain positivity and flexibility
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Availability to support scheduled program activities in the evenings and on weekends Master’s degree in a related field, preferred. Candidates without an advanced degree should have demonstrated experience with social science research methods and MEL
- Three to five years’ experience managing international education or development programs demonstrating relevant progressive experience, with a focus on monitoring and evaluation and data management work; or equivalent preferred
- Training and facilitation skills preferred
- Experience in mentoring, coaching, or other relevant leadership development work with young professionals preferred
- Familiarity with U.S. Department of State grants and regulations preferred
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of Sub-Saharan Africa and recent developments in the region preferred
Your Daily Tasks
- Support the program’s Deputy Director in managing all aspects of the program’s MEL plan and ensuring timely, accurate, and thoughtful completion of deliverables
- Oversee the design, development, and deployment of data collection instruments and provide support to team members in gathering and deploying data
- Collaborate closely with team members on data management
- Oversee project data analysis and lead the design, writing, and editing of reports
- Collaborate with team to ensure findings from data analysis are effectively communicated through social media, the new Fellowship website, impact one-pagers, and other forums
- Contribute to organizational indicators and lines of inquiry
- Develop learning strategy and build staff and stakeholder capacity by conducting MEL trainings
- Supervise subcontractors and consultants, and provide direction to junior program staff
- Represent program interests both within and outside of IREX
- Other duties as assigned
IREX will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments of 2008.
Successful candidates are subject to background screenings
This position is eligible for Telework.