Subgrants/Capacity Building Officer, USAID Youth Development Activity
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Subgrants/Capacity Building Officer candidates for a global, cross-sectoral USAID Youth in Development Activity. This project will design and apply an approach to using implementation research to strengthen cross-sectoral positive youth development programming, help youth-led and youth-serving organizations use implementation research, and synthesize and promote findings broadly. The Subgrants/Capacity Building Officer will be based in Washington, DC.
This position has a maximum 18-month period of performance and is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Develop capacity-building approach for youth-led and youth-serving organizations and groups in line with project technical goals, and provide oversight and quality assurance of capacity-building efforts.
- Apply expertise in Performance Improvement methodologies to capacity-building for a range of local youth-led and youth-serving partners.
- Coach and facilitate performance improvement approach with subgrantees; build capacity of staff and consortium in performance improvement methodologies.
- Ensure performance improvement processes are fully participatory and documented.
- Support subgrantees in identifying technical expertise needed to build their technical and organizational capacity in support of stronger positive youth development programming.
- Oversee and manage subawards portfolio, including obtaining IREX and USAID approvals, USG reporting and compliance, and compliance with IREX policies and procedures.
- Ensure that grantmaking policies and procedures are streamlined and realistic; oversee subgranting processes that minimize bureaucracy and ensure compliance.
- Ensure timely processing of programmatic and financial reports, and subgrantee payments.
- Develop all forms and processes to be simple, user-friendly, and in-line with IREX policy, guidance, and templates including requests for application (RFAs), memorandums of understanding (MOUs), and grant agreements and modifications.
- Ensure that subgrantee communication and support is well-coordinated.
- Supervise and coach assigned subgrants and capacity-building staff.
- Contribute to project planning and reporting.
- Support partner coordination and management.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- US citizenship or permanent residency.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience working with local organizations in Africa, MENA, or Latin America, with specific experience supporting capacity-building for local organizations, specifically youth-led and youth-serving organizations.
- Experience with performance improvement methodologies strongly preferred.
- Proven track record in successfully planning and developing learning modules through a variety of methods as well as delivering training and coaching.
- Grant management experience for USAID or US Government programs; demonstrated ability to manage creative and streamlined subgrants portfolios for lower-capacity local organizations.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting, and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Operational knowledge of USAID regulations including FAR and ADS concerning financial management and reporting, subcontracting, and procurement.
- Strong organizational skills and excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English is required.
Please click “Apply” below to submit your CV and cover letter for consideration.