Senior MEL/CLA Consultant
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
IREX is seeking an experienced evaluation and learning consultant in support of implementing our Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) and Collaboration, Learning, and Adaptation (CLA) approaches. Consulting assignments will vary but are expected to include support for MEL and CLA in proposals, at program startup, and for staff onboarding.
The Consultant will be expected to:
- Work with IREX’s Senior Advisor for MEL to adapt and integrate IREX’s MEL and CLA approaches into USAID proposals, including alignment with USAID’s Journey to Self-Reliance (J2SR) approach; develop MEL and CLA components of proposals.
- Communicate with proposal leads and coordinators about timelines, requirements, and approaches for MEL and CLA activities.
- Review, revise, and further develop MEL and CLA plans at program startup in collaboration with program team.
- Provide support to program MEL staff in understanding and starting up MEL and CLA processes.
- Provide other MEL/CLA support as needed.
- This consultancy may request some assistance in the field which would require travel outside the United States.
Required Abilities and Experience
- Abilities and experience in developing MEL plans for proposals and at program startup, including for USAID projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with proposal and program teams to ensure that MEL activities are accessible and integrated with program goals and activities.
- Abilities and experience in researching, adapting, and developing practical and robust MEL tools.
- Experience onboarding and training program teams in MEL strategies and systems.
- Demonstrated responsiveness to demands of proposal processes (re: timing, integrating feedback, continuous adaptation).
- Experience in creatively responding to obstacles to MEL plan implementation.
- Experience with integration of gender and social inclusion into MEL design.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Familiarity with types of partners and settings within which IREX works
- Complexity-aware approaches to MEL
- Strong interest in integrating CLA and learning approaches into program planning and MEL processes.
To qualify for this consultancy, candidates must have experience in each of the areas listed under Required Abilities and Experience, and be able to provide examples for these. They must have excellent English skills.
Candidates who have the required abilities and experience will be more competitive if they are familiar with types of partners and settings within which IREX works.
The most competitive candidate will demonstrate they have the required abilities and experience, are familiar with types of partners and settings within which IREX works, are experienced in complexity-aware approaches to MEL, and have strong interest in integrating CLA and learning approaches into program planning and MEL processes.
Please upload a CV with list of references. This position is open until filled. For best consideration, apply by February 14, 2020.