Humanitarian Communications Consultant
Position Title: Humanitarian Communications Consultant
Reports To: Program Representative
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks a Humanitarian Communication Consultant based worldwide (remote) to advise media outlets operating in North West Syria. Selected Humanitarian Communication Consultants will be responsible for developing/planning/implementing targeted trainings, advising on program content and best practices for coordination between NGO and media institutions in North West Syria for a project that combines Humanitarian and Civic Education communication activities with local media.
Preferred candidates will have experience in journalism and media development, Humanitarian Communications, are proficient in the Arabic language and have worked in the field. Candidates should be able to process information quickly and concisely, recognize sensitive cultural differences, and be professional and courteous at all times.
The assignment will be part-time with periodic full-time training weeks and will conclude by October 31, 2020. If at some point, international travel is allowed and the safety conditions met there is a possibility for the consultants to implement trainings in person in Istanbul. No travel to Syria required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review the media partners current humanitarian information productions to develop targeted trainings for radio, online and video productions.
- Advise on program content and coverage of COVID-19 issues in NW Syria to better inform the population and IDPs.
- Plan and implement trainings to improve skills, access to information, and to optimize production work for health communication programming.
- Bring best practices on how to utilize media for the affected populations of a humanitarian crisis during a conflict.
- Support local media outlets on the creation of PSAs.
- Work closely with the media outlets General Manager to discuss objectives, production and ensure the correct channels of communication are used during programming for reaching the expected goals.
- Advise on any other technical and content areas where the IREX media outlets need support.
- Advise on other editorial areas where improvements are needed.
- Advise on coordination with NGOs and international institutions for better information sharing.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Over 10 years of experience on Humanitarian Communications, including in conflict zones.
- Solid experience in journalism and media development.
- Training experience (in person and online).
- Work experience inside media organizations.
- Arabic speaker.
- Field mission experience in conflict and/or post-conflict countries.
To Apply: Please send a resume, a cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to “email@example.com”. Please add “Humanitarian Communications - STMP” in the subject of the email. Please provide proposed rate in cover letter.
Application deadline: July 20, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Shortlisted candidates will be subject to a verbal interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Engagement will require a successful reference check.