Assistant Horticulture Entrepreneur
Job ID 138
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
At Heifer USA, we believe regenerative farming is critical to the health of rural economies and the health of our planet. That’s why we invest in farmers, equipping them with the skills and support they need to make their businesses grow. Heifer Ranch is a 1,200-acre living classroom where farmers and ecologically concerned consumers can connect, share ideas and learn from our team of agricultural experts.
We provide hands-on, classroom and digital training programs and support to farmers accessing new markets. Our team of horticulture and livestock specialists teach innovative and climate-friendly farming practices that improve small farmers’ bottom line, provide nutritious food for consumers and protect and conserve our environment.
When local farms thrive, local economies and ecosystems do too.
The Assistant Horticulture Entrepreneur will support daily operations in the market garden. Under the supervision of the Horticulture Entrepreneur, they will execute garden work, coordinate volunteer support, and utilize regenerative farming techniques to efficiently and effectively contribute to garden production. In addition, this person will assist in the building and maintaining of our living classroom at Heifer Ranch and contribute to our training programs.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Commitment to performance; Excellence; Always brings solutions; Entrepreneurial; Innovative; Fail fast and small; Action-oriented; Passion for mission; Friendly; Self-starter and proactive tendencies; Tenacity; Creativity; A “whatever-it-takes-to-get-the-job-done” mentality; Thrives in a culturally diverse environment; Detailed; Systematic; Organized; Collaborative; Trustworthiness; Communicator; Flexibility
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Carry out daily tasks in the market garden under the supervision of the Horticulture Entrepreneur (75%)
- Duties may include cultivation, harvest, planting, post-harvest, pest management, and volunteer coordination
- Complete all tasks assigned in a timely manner and report issues, needs, and observations to supervisor
- Coordinate garden volunteers in day to day tasks, provide them structure, mentoring, and motivation to effectively and efficiently support you and the market garden
Carry out sales and delivery to customers (10%)
- Complete regional deliveries of product on time and in full
- Build professional relationships with customers and provide exceptional customer service
- Help identify and evaluate potential new markets where produce can be sold that are strategic to our mission and vision
Support farmer training program (10%)
- Contribute to creating and enhancing farmer training curriculum and materials
- Assist in the preparation and execution of in-person and digital training
- Engage with Heifer Ranch visitors to provide educational and inspiring agricultural experiences
- Promote regenerative agriculture practices coupled with a focus on how small scale farmers can increase profitability
- Complete assigned tasks and keep records at frequency and level of detail as outlined in standard operating procedures
- May perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in Agri-business, Agriculture, or a related field plus two (2) years of related experience
- Working knowledge of market gardening
- Preferred Requirements:
- Experience at a working farm and in business/sales
- Bachelor's degree in agriculture or biological science
- Reside within close proximity to Heifer Ranch or willingness to stay on the Ranch when duties require it
- Awareness of market garden techniques, greenhouse production, and principles of organic gardening are critical
- Problem solving skills and mechanical proficiency are also cored to this position
- Job will require the use of a tractor, and at times, the repair of parts and implements
- Keen observational skills and daily communication with Horticultural Entrepreneur are critical in the garden as the environment, pest pressures, irrigation needs, and harvests are always changing.
- Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Job will include some office/desk time (~10%) while most of the time will be spent outdoors or in the packshed. Applicants should be able to work in extreme heat, cold, and rain. Physical demands can be high. The ability to lift 50lbs is necessary for the work.
- The job requires some flexibility in the workday, for example, work in the garden tends to revolve around weather and daylight. During the summer, work might start earlier than in the winter. This role may have to work at certain weekends or holidays to care for crops or support special events.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.