Heifer Urban Farm Technician
Job ID 164
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Accountable for day to day operations of the Heifer Urban Farm, including feeding animals, planting and weed management.
Accountable for contributing to the educational aspects of Heifer Urban Farm by assisting with tours, workshops, classes, and outreach events.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Curious, collaborative, leadership, pragmatic, inspirational and superb teacher
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
Assist Farm Coordinator in daily operation of Heifer Urban Farm (70%)
- Participate in rotation of feeding and watering of animals.
- Ensure animals are in good health and assign assistance in the maintenance thereof; by administering medications, rotating pasture, and research of best-practices.
- Participate in seed planting, weeding, fertilizing, irrigating, and pest management practices to ensure plentiful produce harvests
Assist with community engagement (30%)
- Advise Farm Coordinator in creating workshops, classes, and engagement events centered around ending hunger and caring for the earth.
- Implement the workshops as necessary as assigned by Farm Coordinator.
- Participate in booth-based community events, both on campus and off.
- High School diploma and two (2) years of farming experience
- Knowledge of and experience with animal husbandry and beekeeping.
- Experience farming 3-5 acres in an urban setting.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Evidence of strong work ethic, with a broad base of experience, and proven collaborative skills all combined in an individual who can motivate and inspire confidence in project management, monitoring and evaluation across the.
- Demonstrated ability to get things done when working across the organization – taking a pragmatic approach and applying influence when working outside of formal authority.
- Ability to focus, prioritize, and deflect distractions in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Systems – thinking, a demonstrated ability to operate in complex environments, with multiple developments, and manage for actions and unintended consequences by employing feedback mechanisms and review processes.
- Confident in and experience with the use of technology in development and farming.
- Strong writing and presentation skills for a variety of audiences including children and prospective sponsors.
- Fluency in English required, a working knowledge of Spanish and/or Slavic a plus.Engage with tour groups and visitors on an ongoing basis.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to perform laborious farm work; lifting and carrying 50 lbs, bending, working outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to assign and review the work of direct reports, as well as motivate and engage team members.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse and global setting