Program Manager-Cooperative Development
Job ID 831
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of specially-abled.
The Program Manager-Cooperative Development is responsible for ensuring the successful, efficient, and effective functioning of all cooperatives in the program. This includes providing support needed for co-ops to form themselves into business hubs (member services, governance, management, marketing, finance, etc.). The Manager also helps to ensure the capacity building of cooperatives’ principles, values, and business development in collaboration with the signature program team.
RESPONSIBILIIES AND DELIVERABLES: (including approximate percentage effort)
Cooperative Development (45%)
- Lead in formulating the cooperative development strategy for signature programs.
- Update and implement policies, procedures and systems for cooperative development in alignment with Heifer’s signature program strategy.
- Facilitate and monitor pre-cooperative orientation activities in the self-help groups (SHGs) and clusters of SHGs as they develop into cooperatives and unions.
- Support in facilitating SHGs in the formation of primary cooperatives and support in the registration process.
- Facilitate the capacity building of cooperative/union governing board and management in effective and efficient decision making, financial management, human resource management, operation and strategic planning and implementation, conflict management, and democratic governance.
- Monitor, support and backstop the cooperatives/unions for effective functioning.
- Build relationships with external agencies (public and private), and facilitate engagement with similar organizations (unions, federations).
Cooperative Business (40%)
- Support co-ops in formulating short- and long-term strategies and bankable business plans and ensure their effective implementation.
- Support co-ops to ensure the cooperative-owned business hubs are appropriately linked to the markets and functioning sustainably.
- Support Catalytic Leverage Funds mobilization and investment for sustainable growth of co-ops’ agri-enterprises.
- Work with the signature program team to develop cooperatives as business hubs with backward and forward linkages into the entire value chain.
- Support in developing business relationships with financial institutions, banks, and other value chain actors.
- Support in developing services to co-op members (finance, inputs, training, and support services).
- Support in increasing the business transactions of FOABs (volume and value of services and transactions-purchase sales, through FOAB).
- Support in branding and marketing services to co-ops (selling quality products and services, promotion, distribution, bulking, and branding).
Training and Capacity Building (15%)
- Develop and deliver training packages/modules for project partners, primary cooperatives, cooperative unions, and federations.
- Develop guidelines for the formation, management and governance of cooperatives.
- Facilitate cooperatives in the orientation of new non-Heifer members to have a fuller understanding of co-op principles and values.
- Guide co-ops in conducting periodic PSRP and reinforcing values.
- Facilitate cross-learning among cooperatives and encourage the adaptation of best practices.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in sociology, agriculture economics, community development, business management, enterprise development, or related field, plus seven (7) years of related experience OR Master’s degree plus five (5) years of related experience.
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience in the field of cooperative development, agriculture/livestock value chains including access to finance.
- Knowledge of training individuals and teams using participatory methodologies.
- Knowledge of and experience with or within community organizations.
- Fluent in national language and English, spoken as well as written.
- Have an interest in animals/agriculture/community development.
- Skills with Microsoft Office package, internet browser, and other appropriate technology.
- Ability to implement and maintain various capacity assessment tools for quality and accountability assurance of cooperatives and agribusinesses.
- Working knowledge of sustainable livelihoods, value chain development and market systems development.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to both help groups reach agreements and to represent collective perspectives.
- Strong commitment to the shared leadership model.
- Knowledge of different training topics such as social capital, gender, AC development documentation, etc.
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision.
- Produce and present reports in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues, potential donors, and the general public.
- Constant setting, standing and walking, with occasional bending and lifting; may work at a computer foe extended periods of time.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both locally and internationally.
Job Location: Sirajganj, BangladeshThe last date of the application submission is on December 26, 2022.