Job ID 383
Heifer International (“Heifer”) is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Associate Counsel will provide a full array of legal services needed in an international nonprofit environment, with a distinct emphasis on the review, negotiation and drafting of (a) grants and contracts, and (b) documents related to impact investing, such as loan agreements, promissory notes, mortgages, security agreements, deposit agreements, joint venture agreements, partnership agreements, and equity transfer agreements.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Bright, flexible, diligent, humble, honest, fair, hard-working.RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Review, negotiate, and draft grants and contracts including, but not limited to, the following (30%):
- Independent Contractor Agreements
- Grant- and Project-related Agreements
- Employment Agreements
- License Agreements
- Software Agreements
- Cooperation Agreements
- Endowment Agreements
- Professional Services Agreements
- Lease Agreements
- Charitable Solicitation Agreements
- Relationship Agreements
- Term Sheets
- Due Diligence
- Loan Agreements
- Promissory Notes
- Security Agreements
- Deposit Agreements
- Joint Venture Agreements
- Partnership Agreements
- Equity Transfer Agreements
- Corporate advice and counsel
- Registrations of branch offices
- De-registrations of branch offices
- Formation/Organization of affiliates
- Dissolution of affiliates
- Intellectual property registrations and maintenance
- Updates on key legal developments
- Dispute resolution, pre-litigation, and litigation
- Real estate-related transactions
- Immigration-related tasks
- State registrations, maintenance, and dispute resolution
- Hiring, promotions, discipline, grievances, disputes and separations
- Pay, benefits, and tax considerations
- Reviewing and drafting of policies
- Investigating and resolving various labor and employment law-related issues
- Maintaining talent
- Protecting trade secrets
- Reviewing communications
- Developing best practices and white papers
- Creating, implementing, and conducting trainings—such as trainings in contracts, grants, and governance
- Complying with privacy and data protection laws
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
- Three (3) years of job-related experience.
- Licensed and in good standing as an attorney in the State of Arkansas.
- Foreign language skills.
- Substantive volunteer experience.
- Business-related undergraduate or graduate degree.
- General understanding of international law.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Proficient in writing of all kinds.
- Proficient in grant and contract law.
- Proficient in structuring and documenting transactions.
- Great attention to detail.
- Excellent skills in organization, research, and writing.
- Strong understanding of laws applicable to 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations operating internationally, including but not limited to tax laws and laws related to international grantmaking and anti-terrorism.
- Strong understanding of non-profit culture.
- Ability to manage administrative matters such as managing calendar, drafting correspondence, and maintaining established electronic filing system.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Constant face-to-face, telephonic, and electronic communication with colleagues and attorneys—both in the US and internationally.
- Relate to, and communicate professionally and effectively with, a diverse group of individuals from various cultures.
- Maintain a flexible schedule to accommodate time zone differences existing in an international organization.
- Work under pressure, perform multiple tasks, and manage consistently competing priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Work well independently and in teams.
- Manage a large number of projects involving numerous parties.
- Work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Produce and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format.
- May require constant sitting and moving, and working at a computer for extended periods.
- Willingness to travel locally and internationally.