Director of Global Procurement
Job ID 51
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Establishing and managing a robust system of procurement for Heifer International globally and supporting procurement processes in Country Offices in compliance with the Heifer Procurement Policy and Guidelines and per specific requirements of major donors. Take ownership of Heifer International’s global procurement strategy; including a leadership role in the implementation of procurement processes and systems in partnership with key internal stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Honesty, Integrity, Loyalty, Collaborative, Accountability, Big Picture Thinking, Social Intelligence and Initiative.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Global Procurement Policies, Procedures and Systems (50%)
- Implementation of global procurement systems, ensuring coordination with financial policies and procedures.
- Development, dissemination, and maintenance of global procurement policies and procedures focused on best overall value and service, process efficiency, and compliance.
- Development, implementation and oversight of policies and procedures for contract administration and vendor management.
- Ensure that all procurement policies, procedures and systems comply with major donor regulations and are documented and updated in the global procurement manual.
- Lead the development of a global procurement strategy that oversees and supports procurement activities – headquarters and country offices – to ensure effectiveness and compliance with donor regulations with a strong service orientation.
- Provide strategic direction and development of methodologies for local, regional and global sourcing, including cost-effective acquisition and efficient processes which reduce lead time.
- Staff and manage a procurement team with direct responsibility for managing and supporting headquarters-based procurement transactions and high value/risk, field-based procurement activities.
- Oversee Heifer International’s procurement globally and ensure direct technical support to field-based procurement teams for atypical transactions and inquiries, in partnership with the country office procurement personnel.
- Develop and monitor key global procurement performance indicators to minimize risk, maximize value for money and ensure quality service to local, regional, and global business units.
- Ensure that all headquarters and country office teams are trained in Heifer International’s procurement policies, procedures, and systems in partnership with Global Finance Operations team and Programs.
- Guide the design and delivery of global procurement training and new-hire orientation.
- Represent Global Procurement on cross-functional projects and initiatives to ensure seamless and efficient policies and procedures for program teams and country offices.
- Engage with Finance, Risk Management, and Legal teams to ensure strong and effective internal controls throughout the procurement processes and systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, or related field.
- 10 years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract management, or administration in the public or private sector, of which at least five years directly related to first-hand procurement is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience managing, supervising, and/or leading a team.
- Master’s degree in business administration, public administration or related field.
- Working knowledge of Spanish would be an asset.
- Experience with global organization and in developing countries preferred. Multi-cultural competences and good understanding of international affairs.
- Expertise in the U.S. Federal Uniform Grant Guidance and other federal regulation such as OMB circular A-122 and Single Audit Act.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Managing Programs and Projects: Implements, participates in, and evaluates the results of programs, projects, or processes and manages related resources, personnel and activities to successful completion.
- Political Savvy: Ability to exhibit confidence and professional diplomacy, while effectively relating to people at all levels internally and externally.
- Demonstrated ability in implementing and managing sophisticated automated systems and strong technical computer skills.
- Proven experience with procurement regulations and standards, particularly U.S. government.
- Experience working in a decentralized environment required.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Superior service orientation and teamwork approach.
- Fluency in English is required.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally and adequate physical condition necessary to project sites in rural areas.
- Ability to prepare and present documents and reports with superior attention to detail to a wide-ranging audience.
- Strong interpersonal skills in change environment with ability to tactfully challenge the status quo, and effectively influence improvement.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
- Ability to assign and evaluate the work of direct reports.
- Ability to combine effective team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff.
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality