Program Officer-Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
Job ID 817
Heifer International is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Heifer International is a global nonprofit organization, established in 1944, with a mission to “End Hunger and Poverty While Caring for the Earth”. Our work is aligned with ten Sustainable Development Goals. Heifer International gives out gifts of livestock, seeds, and trees and extensive training to those in need. Based in Little Rock, Arkansas, Heifer International has helped more than 15.5 million families (79 million people) in more than 125 countries across the globe.
About Us: www.heifer.org
This position will support the development and manage the implementation of Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning, and Systems for the OSED and HHI projects in Odisha. A strong emphasis for this role is on data collection, ensuring data quality, partner capacity building on MELS, evaluation/survey management, integrity, data analysis, reporting, dissemination, and learning.
MELS: Implement monitoring, evaluation, learning, and systems for the project. (40%)
- Lead the implementation of the MEL Plan for the project
- Review and adjust MEL plans and targets, tools, and processes periodically and update the same
- Prepare output reports and coordinate for annual outcome monitoring/surveys
- Work with external evaluators to conduct the Baseline, Mid-term and final evaluations while ensuring data quality
- Conduct and manage the monitoring of project progress, living income validation, and output monitoring as per the MEL plan
- Ensure the effective implementation of Heifer’s MELS policies and procedures for the project
- Ensure proper use of available digital tools and techniques for effectively managing MELS activities
- Disseminate learning findings from project monitoring, evaluation, and research. Lead learning events with key stakeholders within the project communities, implementation partners, and Heifer in general
- Elevate MELS-related challenges to the Project Manager and Program Manager – PME for coordination with the Director of Programs, and Country Director to find timely solutions
- Design data collection tools, plans, and processes for all required information, ensuring high quality and integrity of data.
- Support the development of project result frameworks and logical frameworks for all new projects
- Support in the rollout and manage the Heifer’s PME system and IPMS for the projects
Program Effectiveness: Data management, Analysis, and Support in Data-based decision-making (35%)
- Conduct and/or quality assure all MEL data collected for the project
- Organize routine data quality assessment on a quarterly basis and performance monitoring of each sub-awards on a semi-annual basis
- Summarize/ aggregate /analyze data at the state/project/FOAB/geography level to promote data-based decision-making and support in the strategy program.
- Manage all data properly in clean form, and analyze to use for project management, learning, and meet all the reporting needs
- Support in designing, managing, and evaluating study protocols, questionnaires, sample selection, and analysis for studies or outcome monitoring
- Work with the project management team to respond to periodic donor and Heifer requests for additional information on project activities and results
- Document, store, and share lessons learned, successes, failures, and best practices via case studies
- Ensure to collect data through Heifer’s Computer-assisted personal interviewing (CAPI) SurveyCTO system for all required data collection activities
Capacity Development (15%)
- Build the capacity of project partners for operationalization of the project MEL system, and reporting of Leveraged Resources
- Work collaboratively with different programs for strengthening integration and cross-learning in programs
- Equip program, partner, and FOAB staff with skills to deliver MELS activities efficiently as per the PME system.
- As needed, supervise, and manage supporting staff for efficient work and to maintain project and MEL compliance.
- Provide coaching and training to equip staff to deliver the assigned responsibilities efficiently.
- Contribute to the recruitment, training, and supervision of external parties that are contracted to implement special surveys and studies required for evaluating project effects and impacts.
Sub Award Design and Management (5%)
- Collaborate with project holders and Heifer’s teams in project design and MELS budgeting
- Support in preparation of sub-award proposals
- Support research and evaluation initiatives in the country
- Assist in networking with other development organizations, governments, and other line agencies in promoting Heifer’s and Cargill’s development model/initiatives, and potential collaborations.
- Track physical and financial project progress against the annual plan
May perform other job-related duties as requested (5%)
Qualification: Bachelor’s degree in project planning, Monitoring and Management, Economics and/or Statistics, or Social Science and or an equivalent with an academic focus on monitoring and evaluation or another related field. Candidates having a higher degree will be preferred.
Experience: Having a minimum of five (5) years of total experience in I/NGOs, out of which a minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience in MELS and Research.
- Knowledge and understanding of project Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning, and Result Framework
- Knowledge of tool development using the ODK platform
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Very strong conceptual thinker and analytical skill
- A good learner and team worker
- Experiences quantitative and qualitative data management, analysis, and reporting
- Sound knowledge and skills in project management, MEL plan, result framework, and evaluation management
- Experience in the design and usage of digital data collection tools like SurveyCTO, ODK, key Surveys, etc.
- Lead study team and synthesize study reports
- Excellent management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- A good knowledge of Advance Excel, SPSS/STATA
- A good knowledge and skills to manage project database management system
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity
- Willingness to work flexibly, outside normal working hours
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork, and cooperation
- Constant face-to-face, telephonic and electronic communication with colleagues, partners, and potential donors
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision
- Ability to deal with sensitive information and to always maintain confidentiality
- Sensitive in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity