Intern - Structural Design Engineer
Chief Buildings is currently seeking an Engineering Intern to join the Chief team for Summer 2022. The intern will use knowledge gained through college curriculum in an engineering environment, and will interact with engineers to gain first-hand insight of their day-to-day duties. The internship provides real world engineering experience that will build a foundation for full time employment with a metal building manufacturer. It will also broaden the intern’s understanding on how/why metal buildings are commonly used on many projects, and how design professionals in the construction industry interact with metal building manufacturers. They will have exposure to what it is that a metal building manufacturer does, our company culture, and the many exciting opportunities that are available at Chief Buildings.
Overview of Experiences: During the 10 – 12 week internship, the intern will work side by side with experienced Civil and Architectural Engineers, and will gain value experience by:
- Improving or developing tools used by Chief’s engineering, drafting, and estimating departments
- Developing a familiarity of metal buildings products and procedures
- Document current or new processes and procedures using AutoCAD, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and other software.
- Develop proficiency in use of AISC and AISI material specifications
- Exposure to current editions of ASCE 7, IBC, the MBMA Building Systems Manual, and MBS software
- Familiarity with building products produced by Chief Buildings
- Experience working with estimators, project managers, engineers, and detailers on utilization of Chief’s procedures and products to meet customer needs
Qualifications and Skill Requirements:
- Working toward a B.S. and/or M.S. in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, or Structural Engineering; or working toward an M.S. in Architectural Engineering
- The ideal candidate has successfully completed “Structures Theory” that addresses beam forces and is typically taken during 2nd year.
- Detail oriented
- Willingness to learn new things / open minded
- Active listener
- Customer service oriented
Putting the needs of customers first has taken Chief Industries, Inc. from a small construction company in 1954, to a highly diverse company with a reputation for manufacturing quality products and offering unparalleled customer service. Through its many divisions and subsidiaries, Chief Industries employs over 1,400 skilled and dedicated employees who produce a wide variety of products, many of which are used around the world.
A division of Chief Industries, Chief Buildings has designed and manufactured a wide variety of construction solutions for customers located throughout the United State since 1966. Specific applications include manufacturing, commercial, community and agricultural buildings. Each structure is designed to meet the needs of the customer. Chief Buildings are sold by authorized builders throughout the United States, and are manufactured in Grand Island, Nebraska and Rensselaer, Indiana.