Clinical Medical Assistant
Please note that this is a full-time, fully benefited "Float" position. This Medical Clerk will "Float" to Centers that need support due Medical Clerks being on vacation, on leave, etc.
The Position: Under the direction of the Clinic Charge Nurse, the Medical Assistant provides routine support to the other clinic staff and participants in the clinic including taking vital signs, maintaining the cleanliness of the clinic area and helping participants while they are in the clinic. The Medical Assistant provides excellent customer service to all people they come into contact with at the clinic.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Takes vital signs and enters vital sign information into the computer within two hours.
- Performs routine clinical procedures such as taking vital signs, drawing labs, obtaining specimens and performing EKGs etc.
- Assists the nursing staff in obtaining participant information as assigned.
- Prepares exam rooms to receive participants and cleans exam rooms after participants are seen.
- Escorts the participants to and from exam room and clinic area
- Assists the participants to undress before their exam and get redressed after the exam in a sensitive and respectful manner.
- Assists with transferring and toileting participants utilizing safety precautions and good body mechanics.
- Collects charts and distributes charts to necessary destinations throughout the day. Brings all charts back to the chart room at the time the clinic closes.
- Assists providers in examinations of patients (episodic and routine assessment).
- Maintains clean clinic area, disinfecting surfaces and clinic equipment on a daily basis.
- Assist nurses with keeping clinic stocked, inventory in adequate supply, placing orders for supplies if required. Keeps exam and treatment rooms well supplied at all times.
- Records services rendered in the participant’s records, i.e., flow sheet, s or other designed forms and databases as needed.
- Consults with clinic providers and nursing staff as needed.
- Maintains maintenance logs of clinic equipment. Checks and calibrates glucometer weekly. Checks refrigerator temperatures daily and records in proper logs. Checks concentrator weekly and maintain logs.
- Prints out Superbills each day and attaches to medical records with progress notes for each participant to be seen that day.
- Provides back up to the clinic medical clerk to assist with incoming calls.
- Maintains the confidentiality of all medical procedures, results and information about participants or families.
- Follows all CEI Policies and Procedures.
- Complies with all agency training requirements
- Maintains safe working environment by following CEI’s safety P&P’s.
- Maintains a courteous, helpful and professional attitude on the job. Displays a willingness and ability to be responsive to all customer groups
- Performs other duties as assigned in a positive and helpful manner.
- Completion of Medical Assistant course.
- One year experience in a clinical setting.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of Universal Precautions
- Ability to work in an organized fashion and to aid in participant traffic flow. This includes a willingness to accept and/or give directions working cooperatively with other members of the clinic.
- Customer Service oriented with professional, courteous communication skills.
- Ability to work in a stressful situation as in emergencies and handle requests for assistance from providers in an appropriate manner.
- Current CPR + First Aid Certification.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good computer data entry skills.
- Ability to work as a team player in a multi-cultural, inter-disciplinary setting.
- Bi-lingual English-Spanish, English-Cantonese, English-Korean preferred.
The above job description is intended to communicate the general function of the mentioned position and by no means shall be considered an exhaustive or complete outline of the specific tasks and functions that will be required. CEI reserves the right to change job descriptions, site assignments, and or work hours as required by the needs of the program. All employees are expected to perform their duties within their ability as required by the job and/or as requested by management.
Center for Elders’ Independence is a PACE (Program of All- Inclusive Care for the Elderly) organization that uses an interdisciplinary team approach to care planning and care implementation for the purpose of providing high quality, affordable, integrated health care services to the elderly, including an Adult Day Health Center, and promoting autonomy, quality of life and the ability of individuals to live in their communities. Unlike other healthcare plans, CEI is not a "fee-for-service" plan. It is a a “capitation” healthcare plan. CEI is paid a set amount for each person enrolled in our program, whether or not that individual seeks care. We are a growing company that offers stability and continues to thrive.