Deputy General Counsel, Commercial Contracts
Deputy General Counsel, Commercial Contracts
Isn't it time you bragged about where you work? At CARFAX, we do, every day. We pride ourselves on being mission-focused on helping to grow a brand built on accuracy and integrity. We care deeply about our products and our customers. We’re more than just a company: We help millions of consumers make more-informed decisions every day. We know that our teammates are our most valuable asset, and we value a balanced life while tackling challenging projects in a fast-paced environment. One last thing: Our four-day week continues in Summer 2023!
The Deputy General Counsel, Commercial Contracts is responsible for supporting a rapidly growing business by partnering with and advising business teams on a variety of commercial contracts and legal issues. The position represents an excellent opportunity to make substantial contributions to a dynamic and thriving business. The successful candidate will be a seasoned commercial contracts and licensing attorney and a creative problem solver, applying sound business and legal judgment to a wide variety of commercial contracts and relationships. The position reports to the General Counsel.
Local candidates only. This position is based in Centreville, VA, and will require 3 – 5 days in the Centreville, VA office.
As Deputy General Counsel, Commercial Contracts, you will:
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of commercial contracts, with a particular emphasis on licensing and strategic relationships
- Create and maintain a contract management strategy
- Lead, motivate, develop and mentor a current team of two commercial contract lawyers
- Advise business leaders with respect to legal issues and risk management concerning the development and implementation of business strategy
- Manage company’s intellectual property portfolio and provide advice on advertising and marketing messaging and strategy
- Special projects on an as-needed basis
To be considered for this role, you will need:
- At least ten years’ experience, including both law firm and in house experience, with significant and progressive responsibility advising clients in a complex, dynamic, fast moving and competitive industry
- Experience establishing and maximizing strategic commercial relationships across multiple business units
- Experience weighing business needs with legal and commercial risks to more effectively advise business leaders with respect to risk management
- Must have a practical and creative problem-solving approach
- Must be an assertive and effective negotiator with the ability to persuade and inspire action with a focus on both short term and long term implications
- Must be able to demonstrate a high level of intelligence, independent reasoning, excellent analytical skills and judgment and a strong business acumen
- Must be intellectually curious with a balance of EQ and IQ that drives understanding every aspect of the business and industry
- Must have experience juggling multiple clients with competing demands
- Excellent verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills with the ability to effectively interact with numerous business teams
- Meticulous attention to detail and superior organizational skills
- CIPP/US preferred
- Candidates must currently be licensed to practice law in Virginia or currently eligible to be admitted under a Virginia Corporate Counsel Certificate
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive compensation, benefits and generous time-off policies
- 4-Day summer work weeks and a winter holiday break
- 401(k) / DCPP matching
- Annual bonus program
- Casual, dog-friendly, and innovative office spaces
Don’t just take our word for it:
- 10X Virginia Business Best Places to Work
- 9X Washingtonian Great Places to Work
- 9X Washington Post Top Workplace
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch Best Places to Work
CARFAX, part of S&P Global Mobility, helps millions of people every day confidently shop, buy, service and sell used cars with innovative solutions powered by CARFAX vehicle history information. The expert in vehicle history since 1984, CARFAX provides exclusive services like CARFAX Used Car Listings, CARFAX Car Care, CARFAX History-Based Value and the flagship CARFAX® Vehicle History Report™ to consumers and the automotive industry. CARFAX owns the world’s largest vehicle history database and is nationally recognized as a top workplace by The Washington Post and Glassdoor.com. Shop, Buy, Service, Sell – Show me the CARFAX™. S&P Global Mobility is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI). S&P Global is the world’s foremost provider of credit ratings, benchmarks, analytics and workflow solutions in the global capital, commodity and automotive markets.
CARFAX is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of CARFAX to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, age, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, military status, disability or handicap, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, CARFAX will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are a participant in E-Verify.