Customs Compliance Specialist
Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules and custom‐designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar’s world‐class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest‐growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006. Canadian Solar is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Title: Customs Compliance Specialist
Department: Supply Chain and Logistics
Reports to: Director of Supply Chain, Americas
Location: Walnut Creek, Ca
This position is responsible for coordinating and interfacing with our customs broker to facilitate the release of US import shipments from custom's custody that have been identified as a complex US import due to regulatory requirements and/or tariff combinations. These carry greater risk to the company and must be handled separately and correctly. Completes all types of classification activities, process us import shipments to ensure timely release, performs audits and quality referral functions. Ensures volume is properly isolated and targeted for proper processing.
- Engages with internal and external customers regarding commodities that have been identified and isolated as requiring specialized processing to reduce the risk of liquidated ages, penalties, through classification and the application of proper duty preference.
- Determines, at time of release, the applicability and degree of the entry complexity and executes the necessary actions to ensure proper handling at all stages of import process.
- Completes the classification of highly complex and regulated imports by referencing classification support materials and customs regulations.
- Assesses appropriate level of duties/taxes payable to CBP and/or validates the pertinence of any special program indicators that may apply.
- Ensures that all decisions made are executed based on CBP regulations, current training, and entry processing instructions.
- Answers inquiries by internal stakeholders and customers about the clearance status.
- Utilizes the internet, company databases, spreadsheets and manifest scrolling to ensure high risk commodities are isolated and routed for proper processing by sr us import spec including freight that has already arrived.
- Communicates with customers, CBP, and other government agencies in order to obtain information necessary to validate if a commodity is within the scope.
- Makes necessary adjustments to entries caught during pre and post release flex audits to ensure all entries are complete, properly classified, and any duty preferences have been properly applied.
- Assist in developing, implementing, and maintaining programs, policies, procedures, and controls to ensure company-wide compliance with import/export trade control governance process.
- Keep abreast of import/export trade requirements.
- Responsible for assigning Customs Tariff Classifications and required Trade documents to all merchandise to be imported or exported.
- Assist in maintaining import landed cost database.
- Conduct compliance audits to ensure all aspects of the entry are accurate (HTS, valuation, markings, etc.).
- Conduct audit such as ACH daily and month payments.
- Audit Post Entry corrections.
- Maintain Data for Exemption filing.
- Provide support as required in the areas of duty drawback claims filing.
- Assist with research and data collection required to address RFI and NOA notices issued by CBP.
- Use the ACE portal to research entries and file protests.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Associates degree and/or equivalent 3 Years of business experience working directly in an international brokerage environment.
- Experience using analytical skills in problem resolution.
- Demonstrated knowledge of customs regulations, harmonized tariff schedules and special tariff treatment programs.
- Ability to analyze data and information and to make sound decisions in a time sensitive atmosphere.
- Certified customs specialist certification preferred.