Project Engineer (US)
Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically-integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules and custom-designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar’s world-class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all of their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006. Canadian Solar is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Title: Project Engineer, Energy Storage
Department: SSES Energy Solutions - Project Engineering
Reports To: Sr. Project Engineering Manager
Location: US based, preferably Southern California or Texas
Project Site ~ 70% (Southern California) and Remote ~30%
The Project Engineer is part of a cross functional team that focuses on executing battery storage projects with market leading technologies. The Project Engineer is responsible for all engineering activities of one or two Storage projects from the design phase through to commissioning to ensure successful execution. The Project Engineer is expected to spend over 70% of his or her time at the project site.
Project Planning (remote):• Assist with the development of technical specifications, vendor reviews, supplier qualifications, etc, including testing and commissioning aspects of energy storage projects.
• Support procurement activities by managing supplier information gathering, generating technical requirement documents and maintaining supplier Q&A logs.
• Review and evaluate technical aspects of EPC bidder’s proposals pertaining to energy storage during the course of EPC selection.
• Review project documents and preliminary designs to identify gaps in scope and responsibility to ensure project success. This requires a comprehensive understanding of engineering, construction, and permitting concepts.
Project Execution (on site):• Responsible for technical project execution, which requires understanding/managing the scope, stakeholders and schedule and keeping all parties in sync.
• Interface with internal customers (project managers, product engineers, sales team) and external customers (utilities, AHJs, contractors, end customers) to ensure consistent communication.
• Manage Engineering Consultant and host weekly coordination and design review meetings with stakeholders.
• Review/coordinate design and other technical information from suppliers and contractors.
• Manage design review process and ensure all comments are closed.
• Review equipment Factory Acceptance Test procedures and reports.
• Prepare commissioning plan, schedules and check list to coordinate all commissioning activities and performance testing.
• Inspect construction work and support the resolution of installation and commissioning technical issues.
• Suggest improvement in product design or procedures/processes based on lessons learned .
Other:• Maintain and develop key strategic relationships with major vendors, suppliers, and contractors throughout the energy storage industry.
• Support value-engineering and process improvements efforts by sharing project specific lessons learned.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:• BS in an engineering field or equivalent experience/practical knowledge.
• 5-10 years of relevant experience in project and/or systems engineering within Energy Storage integrator or EPC contractor.
• Direct experience in battery storage systems, medium voltage stations, and/or related products/systems.
• Proficient in the specification, technical bid analysis and procurement of major equipment such as inverter, transformers, switchgear etc...
• Must have a sound understanding of commissioning, and testing of Energy Storage projects.
• Proficient in construction project management (Submittals, RFIs, Change Order, Non Conformance, As built)
• Proficient in MV Electrical Installations, Ampacity Calculations, Short circuit/load flow, Protective Device Coordination, Arc Flash, Grounding per IEEE80 and other relevant design topics.
• Practical hands-on experience on system engineering and solid understanding of related regulatory standards including NEC/UL code compliance.
• Global perspective and awareness, and direct experience working across diverse cultures in a multinational company would be beneficial.
• A go-getter professional with a can-do attitude - setting aggressive, measurable goals and objectives for him/herself and prepared to be measured against them.
• A dynamic professional with the ability to positively interact and collaborate with a diverse group of people at all levels and disciplines and capable of standing in front of key clients, thinking on his/her feet and making sound decisions within compressed timelines.
• An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a broad variety of issues, initiatives and objectives concurrently.