Job ID 2023-4871
Frontline Medical Communications, Inc., a division of Medscape, is one of the healthcare industry's largest medical communications companies and a leader in digital, print, and live events. The Company leads in HCP-level targeting and is ranked 1st in combined web and print engagements. With MDedge, our state-of-the-art integrated web portal, and audited email database, FMC meets the marketing challenges of our clients with superior reach, optimal sponsorship opportunities, and flexible advertising programs. FMC delivers award-winning, indexed, clinical reviews; practice and policy information; and medical news daily from on-site reporting at major medical meetings, many in collaboration with notable societies, medical associations, and opinion leaders.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
MDedge Editorial is seeking an editor for MDedge Cardiology and MDedge Endocrinology, websites that offer the latest specialty news and expert perspectives from onsite conference coverage, summaries from the journals, and regulatory and approval news from the U.S. and around the world, and the monthly newspapers Cardiology News and Clinical Endocrinology News. The person in this position must demonstrate a high level of reporting and editing skills, mastery of the print production process, and a sophisticated understanding of medicine in general and cardiology and endocrinology in detail. Tasks include assigning articles and other content for the websites, newspapers, and newsletters; editing articles; planning and executing 24 print issues per year (12 for each publication), and working with affiliated staff such as reporters and associate editors. The ideal candidate must be able to multitask, be comfortable working both independently (under minimal supervision), as well as adept to working in a team environment. The candidate must have experience in publishing and superb written and communication skills. The ability to work well under pressure in a deadline driven environment is essential.
This position is responsible for all editorial content for the MDedge Cardiology and MDedge Endocrinology websites, the monthly Cardiology News and Clinical Endocrinology News print publications, and related newsletters. The editor should ensure efficient and effective execution of all tasks within agreed priorities, budgets, and time scales to the highest quality and with minimal supervision. Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Conceptualize specialty-specific news and meeting coverage assignments for the websites, print issues, and newsletters
- Oversee the complete production cycle for monthly print issues, including selection and placement of articles, headline approvals, cutting/fitting content, collaboration with designer and production personnel, and cold-read changes
- Work collaboratively with Medscape colleagues within the cardiology/endocrinology pod, coordinating story conception, execution, publishing, and deadlines
- Attend key specialty meetings, coordinating daily deadlines for digital content
- Review key specialty journals and medical news outlets
- Monitor competing information sources
- Edit articles to verify accuracy, rewriting as needed
- Develop and acquire supporting content as needed to enhance articles, including images and resource material
- Maintain contact with Board members as needed to assure the direction of content offerings to meet reader needs
- Develop specialty-specific physician-written columns as required
- Collaborate with web editors, graphics, art to enhance online content with value-added information such as graphics, photos, original source documents, etc.
- Acumen to deliver consistently high-quality editorial in multiple formats to capture and maintain the interest of physicians and reflect a high standard of literacy and accuracy,
- High productivity evidenced in ability to meet daily digital and print deadlines and perform tasks on schedule to meet embargoes,
- Editing of individual stories to verify accuracy and reflect good news judgment,
- High reliability and availability so that the editor can fill in for other editors for vacations, illness, or special projects,
- Interpersonal skills to meet demands imposed by sharing a staff tasked with developing content for specialty-specific web sites
- Flexibility and creativity to meet the needs of specialist readers in a competitive multimedia environment.
Journalism skills and knowledge to include:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in advanced news writing and substantive editing,
- A high level of reporting and editing skills and a sophisticated understanding of medicine in general and cardiology and endocrinology in detail,
- Ability to perform both online and print editorial processes, write headlines and captions, and solve editorial problems rapidly,
- Computer skills to include working in online environments and content management systems,
- Interpersonal skills and a team player attitude.