Lead Software Engineer - Consumer Marketplace
We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer to join our Consumer Marketplace team. As a Lead Engineer, you will be a key instigator in improvements to and shaping of the Trade Me platform. Your input will be vital to the Consumer Marketplace platform strategy for your value stream and you will be expected to define and drive forward the principles of quality, stable and supportable software. We are looking for someone with strong leadership skills who has the ability to coach other developers through training, mentoring and providing advice.
You'll have the best time working at Trade Me, and this is why:
With dedicated 10% Learning and Development time we help to ensure you are growing with us from Day 1.
Flexibility means different things to different people and we support you to find what works, including a home office setup and utilities allowance.
Being your best self means caring for your physical and mental wellbeing, we offer lots of resources to help you along the way.
Nothing beats getting together to have some fun and celebrate our success. Join us in the office on payday for company-paid lunches. Regular Friday drinks and nibbles, annual Trade Me company awards, celebrations and more.
Here's a bit about what you can expect from this role:
* Work closely with Development Managers to support and mentor engineers in their career progression journey, and build a proud engineering culture
* Work with Engineering Managers to implement good engineering practices across teams. Own the operational health of systems in your value stream. Decide whether technical quality standards are met.
* Work with Principal Software Engineers to facilitate complex technical and architectural design. Own the solution design, development, function and quality of product in your value stream.
* Work with Product Managers during discovery to help with feasibility, capacity, and risk management of Consumer and Marketplace strategy.
* Work with your value stream Product Owner to ensure we balance investment and maintenance in our platform and practices, with work on product initiatives.
* Advocate for continuous delivery and observability practices across teams
* Embed within product development teams to coach and guide them to better articulate, develop, test, and release complex solutions. Enabling and supporting them to be able do their best work.
* Review incidents and post-mortems, recommend, and implement improvements accordingly.
What you will bring to our team:
* Experience with modern software architecture patterns and best practices.
* Strong software and database development skills in languages similar/transferable to those used at Trade Me (primarily C# / SQL / TypeScript).
* Experience in all aspects of continuous delivery (architecture, culture, agile, and patterns)
* Practical understanding of common software quality principles such as SOLID, Law of Demeter, DRY.
* Practical working knowledge of technologies and practices key to Trade Me’s technical strategy such as SRE, Cloud Architecture and Eventing.
* Excellent communication, mentoring skills and experience supporting developers in their technical career growth.
* Excellent stakeholder management skills
We know some candidates can be reluctant to apply for roles if they feel they don't 'tick all the boxes'. If you're excited about this opportunity and are hungry to learn and grow, we'd still really like to hear from you.
Trade Me is an INZ-accredited employer. We truly value diversity and embrace a flexible workplace where people are encouraged to achieve their potential